Am I a closet Libertarian?

We have a hard time finding out what political affiliation we belong to these days, we always voted Republican but now we describe ourselves as "fiscal republicans, lifestyle liberals". If you want smaller government, no government intervention in how you live your life (if I want to smoke, it's my business), have no interest in the "nanny state" (stand or fall on your own), and don't care if someone gets an abortion (none of our business), does that make us Libertarian? We feel the federal government's role should stop at building roads, schools, and defending the country, and we have no problem with anyone's personal choices in their life (let gays get married, etc. we don't care, it's not our business). So what are we?

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 7:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi-bin/purity.cgi

Take this test, and find out!  :o)

(Not surprisingly, I'm a "middle of the road" Libertarian LOL)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:00 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Who said that you need to belong to one party ? You can be nonpartisan.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• plylerjones, I am the same way. When I left the Republican Party, I thought it was because I didn't agree with Bush and the members of Congress in the Office at that time. As an independent, I too have been looking into the Libertarian Party. Not for party affiliation, but to learn more about candidates out there who are NOT getting the recognition they deserve. It may take more fiscal conservatives to leave the Republican party, the republican party to lose votes, and dems to be in their far left over spending control and continue to destroy this nation with big government and fiscal irresponsibility for people to wake up and acknowledge a third party. In a nation that is majority center-right....  This is what it make take, imo.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You sound like a Libertarian to me. Middle of the road.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I just took the test and I am slowly rolling toward Libertarianism---OP I would say thats where you fit, but I'd take the test just for giggles.
    chicka:)
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I am a Dem and proud of it!
    tpickle

Answer by tpickle at 11:20 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I fall libertarian too, now. I think a surprising majority would.

I took the test and got a 79. Middle of the road. I laughed cause it said your friends would tell you to stop talking a bout your views at this point. Very true.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:34 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Im a middle of the road libertarian....no surprise....I guess.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 12:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You have Libertarian leanings for sure. Here is the Libertarian Party Platform and Statement of Principles.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009