Camping?

How old were your kids the first time you took them tent camping?

We are going camping next week for the first time with our 4 1/2 yo, 3 yo and 19 mo. I'm bringing a luggage lock to lock up the door to the tent to make sure they don't go scare any bears in the middle of the night =)

If you have taken little kids... do you have any tips for me?

Silvertears1275

Asked by Silvertears1275 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The first time my boys were 6 and 2. They loved it. Make sure you have plenty of bug spray and plenty of clothes for them to change. I also gave them a lantern so they wouldn't be so scared.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I've taken mine when they were that young. Plenty of snacks, lots of extra clothes (and shoes), baby wipes, bug spray, sun screen.....that's all that comes to mind right now.....just try not to stress too much, relax and enjoy yourselves!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• lol about scaring bears... :)

My DD was 4 I think. I agree on packing tons of extra clothes. Don't forget to set up a little station right outside the tent for them to either remove their shoes or brush off their feet. In my experience, they're in and out of that tent a million times because of the novelty and the next thing you know you've got half the damn woods in your tent. :) Also try and pack some little surprises in case they get bored. Glowsticks or things like that.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:01 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I took my 3 year old and few month old. They weren't wanderers, so I didn't have to think about them escaping. We just had sleeping bags, blow up thingy's and a tent.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Hey you!!! LOL oh we're pretty hard core campers as you know....my kids have been camping in a tent since they were newborns.... two of mine are flight risks with autism, but they don't go too far from the tent at night...they stay pretty close....the kids love it..the tent is a thrill for most kids to sleep in....we don't take Phillip on the long trips from home, but when we get back , we always give him a night in the tent at my parents house in the backyard....he's always as proud as punch! (not sure what that saying really means, is punch proud? lol)
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I took my nephew camping with me when he was 2yrs old.. And we have been going camping as a family since my daughter has been 3-4yrs old.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009