Is there something wrong with being induced 10 days before your due date?

I'm pregnant with my second baby. My doc and I talked about delivery options. She is very open minded to anything I am curious or concerned about. I'm due around January 10th but asked if I could have a New Year's Eve baby.

My doctor said that it would still have to be a c-section due to medical issues but provided everything else goes well with the pregnancy she didn't see anything wrong with it.

I mentioned it to my mom and SIL and they are both telling me to wait, it's probably not a good idea to go early. I was induced at 37 weeks with my son because of other complications with that pregnancy. Those same issues have not shown up in this pregnancy. I wasn't asking to go a month early, just 10 days early.

If it's ok with my doctor to deliver early should I be concerned with what others think? I have known my doc for 10 years and she is amazing. I wouldn't do anything without her approval.

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 7:53 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you are going to have to be induced and have a c-section anyways, I see nothing wrong with choosing your date as long as it is after a safe point, and obviously your doctor is not concerned. Most of the time when you have a scheduled c-section you are given a few days to choose from anyways from what I have heard. Don't let others influence your baby and delivery!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If your only reason is to have a News Year baby then don't. I think it's selfish. If it truly is needed then so be it but let that baby come when ready.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• ok so alot of ppl will tell u that ur crazy for wanting to induce....risks to babys health..ladida...but only ur doctor truely knows wat is going to be safe for both u and ur baby, thats why they spent alot of money to go to school to know all this...if u and ur doc are comfy with it then go ahead...just expect alot of ppl to say ur horrible for wanting to induce becuz of that reason, but only u and ur doc know wat is best for u and baby----good luck
    dilemma1

Answer by dilemma1 at 7:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• The medical necessity for the c-section is my cervix is too scarred from cancer to deliver vaginally and the baby is currently growing larger than expected. I'm not gestational diabetic, we just have large babies.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well Why do you have to have a c-section? Did you have one with your first baby? Because if you are having a c-section you're not being induced...it's a scheduled c-section an they like to do that about a week early because they don't want you to go into labor. I had an emergency c-section with my first and a scheduled one with the 2nd...the snd one we scheduled 9 days early. They give you that 2 week window..both ways so I don't see a problem with it. But I wouldn't go trying to win prizes for having a new years baby if you made sure it was born that day! Besides..if you're going early for something...you should go dec 31st so you can still claim the baby on your taxes for the year!! Good luck to you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yes my first child was a c-section. Sorry for the wrong terminology. I was induced with him but this one will be scheduled. They tried to get me to have my son but after 12 hours I was termed failure to progress and the scarring would not allow the cervix to open. My doc's concern now if I did go in to labor is if the baby did try to come out vaginally then it would rupture my cervix, cause internal bleeding that may not be stopped and we'd both be lost.

I asked for the 10 days to make sure I was past the actual 38 week mark. Yes, the 31st, I think I mentioned New Years Eve. I'm not trying to win prizes for the day I picked. If that time works out for us then that'd be great. If it doesn't we have time after New Year's.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:07 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Some people have concerns about that because your due date is really just an estimate and they may be worried that it would be too soon for the baby to be born healthy. Sounds like it's really your choice though and if your doctor supports it and you feel comfortable with that, then good luck.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• THe docotr says she'll decide when your due date is just about here cause she has to test to make sure that baby's lungs are matured enough to be born. She might decide to wait a couple of days past her latest ok for section or instead the baby's size could mandate an even earlier birth no matter what it is.

I had an emergency section after a hard late labor and then two scheduled sections. Both werescheduled orginally about a week b4 my due date to avoid labor because of my complications1st time. I ended up with my second w the section about 5 days before her due dte and 3rd baby about same.

W/scheduled sections done any stage, mom's health in jeopardy or not,baby's health in jeopardy or not, babies lungs maturity extremely important. If not mature if not emer.then no del.

My 3rdbaby was tested for lung maturity frequently at the end an she's got severe asthma and had RSVirus and tested4 CysticFibrosis whichwz negatv.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I just read an article yesterday that says that babies born at 37 weeks are 77% more likely to have infections, breathing problems, bad jaundice and many other medical problems, as well as having to stay in the hospital for 5 days or more than babies born at 38 weeks and babies born at 38 weeks are still 46% more likely to have one or more of these problems than babies born at 39 weeks. I personally was given the option to have my baby 10 days early, my family (mom, dad, sisters and brothers) are all moving to Kuwait a day before my baby is due, and I chose to wait it out. He will come when hes ready and after my daughter was born 10 days early with bad jaundice and I had to stay 4 days in the hospital I am not taking any chances, no matter how minor with his health.
    I especially would not do it just because I wanted him born on a certin day.
    addisonsmom3794

Answer by addisonsmom3794 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• A lot of women get upset about this, so I understand if you feel judged. But it is with good reason. Many babies have to suffer with breathing problems when born even just 10 days early. The reason is that in those last few weeks the baby's lungs are getting stronger with every passing day. You should give him every chance possible to be as strong as possible. Even one day makes a big difference. Being induced also increases the risks for a lot of other interventions and problems and stresses out the baby, it is not worth it. One way to look at it is "Am I willing to risk my baby having breathing problems, spending extra time in the hospital, having a higher risk of infection and interventions just for him to be born on the day I want?" I know you and most would probably answer no to that, but moms do it every day bc their dr's make it seem fine. Do your own research and you will see that it is not fine.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 9:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2009