How do you deal with people who have really bad manners.

I was brought up to be polite and courteous to people in general,especially adults.

But throughout the years i see a lack of good manners in our kids and even in adults.At times when someone lacks manners.I get frustrated and feel like saying something to them. Usually i walk away from them if im embarrassed by their actions(esecially is it a friend or family member)But i wonder if i should tell them something.Im not perfect and at times i lack manners myself.But in general I like to be kind and polite. .Have a friend who is driving nuts. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I know exactly what you mean. I see this alot too and I guess I'm not the only one. I was raised that manners don't cost a thing and it's best to raise your children the same way. I expect nothing less from my son than good manners. We are complimented often on how polite he is and that makes me feel great.

I have members of my family that I just hang my head about. Truth is, you can't change others. The only person's actions you can control are yours and hope that your good deeds are seen by others and that they take a hint.

Keep being you and maybe that good nature will rub off. Other people just suck sometimes.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i am soo glad i am not the only one who feels this way. i blame it on today's sociaty. some parents let the children parent themselves. don't stop being who you are just because some don't have manners. maybe they will cacth on? (fingers crossed)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• thank them for the behavoir that they were not doing, it really throws them off
    example
    years ago i worked front desk at hotel in big city all rooms were booked
    man came in with his party, maybe 8, he had 4 rooms reserved, but he came in 4 hours before check in, he wanted his rooms right then
    there were still people sleeping in those rooms (dumb ass)
    any way i bent over backwards to accodate him, after suggesting everything in the world besides me going up & physically getting those sleeping guests out of the rooms , i was able to have one of his rooms ready, but told him that housekeeping has gotten it all ready but no towels in there yet. he went up called down bitching that there were no towels! (I could have told him to come back in 4 hrs)or charge he extra $ for early check in, When he came down later, I thanked him for all his patience, he was shocked =he knew that he was an @ss and was extra nice after that
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I'm really big on manners, and I feel the same way. I wish my son would exibit more manners, but even at 8 yrs old, I have to remind him. I don't know where he's getting this from but it's embarrassing. I wish more people felt the same way. In fact, one of the problems with my son, is when I ask him to have good manners in front of or directed to others, they always tell me it's ok, he dont have to, and my son eats that up, so thinks he dont have to...infuriating
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I grew up with manners and to be polite too. I totally think its the way people are being brought up these days. we're too accepting of rudeness and disrespect.

i for one usually walk away - don't like confrontation. but if my girls are around I will make a point of explaining why we left, and what is appropriate and unappropriate. Trying desperately to raise my girls with respect and grace - how to be polite and courteous little girls.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Ohh where are the Mama's that believe in manners they are not the mothers or fathers of the kids my boys bring home.Ugh I have found them digging in my frige(leaving things all over the counter to spoil), dropping there stuff all over the floors like i'm going to clean it up for them.JUST DOWN RIGHT RUDE, I told my kids if i ever catch them being so disrespectful to someones house or them they will not be leaving ours. oh and when you go to the store and someone drops the door on you, i was always taught to hold the door if someone is coming and have taught my kids the same. sry went on a vent
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think you should tell your friend your view on manners. She may not know she offends you. I believe that friends should be honest with each other. It would be a shame to lose a friend over an unspoken issue. Just let her know it embarrasses you, but try not to come across as judgemental, talk about it...

ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 11:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2009