Nebulizer HELP!

My son FLIPS OUT when having to take breathing treatments. He has had them in the past, but is now more active & mobile... and stubborn! He turns his head from side to side and we "chase" his nose with the spout while he has his tantrum. The mask is out of the question, haha. We are visiting family so he is sleeping in the pack n' play - I can't reach far enough to give him the treatment while he's sleeping. Ideas? He needs the treatments every 4-6 hours.

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 8:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i gave my daughter treats (m&m's) during the treatment. we were told not to use the mask since she totally freaked when we put it on. we did treatments in her high chair too so she couldn't run away!!!
    chickensmommy

Answer by chickensmommy at 3:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• oh we been there done that. isn't that hard??? my dd has asthma plus had rsvirus. what a mess.
    try blowing bubbles to keep ds attention or let him string cheerios on a shoelace for a bracelet.

Also give him choices of cd's to listen to in a headset, keep them all a bit more quiet music or a funny story to listen to in his headset. All of those helped us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I strapped my daughter into the high chair and used the adult attachment. That way I could just follow her head as she moved. After a while she got used to it and I could hold her on the floor and do it while she was distracted with TV, or toys, but she still wasn't fond of it. Sometimes strapping the diosoure make to her face helped as it would turn with her ands omethings she's flip out if it touched her. Hang in there. It'll get better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Get a portable nebulizer (rechargable battery) and let him have his treatments while he plays. Just put it in a little back pack for him.

Hold him in your lap and put the mask on him...strap it on. Let him scream...gets the meds in there more! But hold him and keep the mask on him. He has to get used to it. Have a special toy for him, coloring book, reading book, game or something else for treatment time.

Chasing his nose like you write isn't getting him the meds that he needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2009