For those who would like prayer in schools?

For those of you who would like to see prayer in schools, can you explain your position to me? Is it actual, formal, teacher led prayer that you wish to see in schools? Or is it just that your child have an opportunity to pray independantly if they desire? Would a moment of silence for each child to pray/reflect in their own way be enough, or do you want to see someone leading a formal prayer as a group? Does it have to be Christian prayer if you want someone to lead it? I'm just not sure where people stand on this issue and I'm curious as to what exactly 'prayer in school' means to you.

Freela

Asked by Freela at 9:18 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think that the children should have the opportunity to pray when they want to(regardless of what "religion")
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i think a moment of silence so the child can have the oppertunity to pray if they want would be fine.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i agree with the pps..any lead-prayer wouldn't wash with me. for me, prayer is personal, and from my heart/mouth, not someone else's. either a moment of silence, for individual prayer if a child chose to, or nothing at all.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I teach my son to pray when things get tough for him. It gives him a moment to calm down and keeps him from getting in trouble in class. I prefer the student be allowed to pray on their own.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I support the moment of silence idea, and/or the child retaining rights to pray how they want (so long as it's not disrupt-full to the lesson).

I don't really like the idea of teacher led prayers...that does seem too official.

though I'll admit, I'm not so PC that I'm bothered by it when it's led by coaches in sports...I remember my old high school coach had us pray before a game, and she was very cool about it not being forced, and letting whatever girl say whatever kind of prayer they wanted. Under those circumstances, I'm fine with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• oh, and private schools can do whatever the heck they want with prayer - the state should not be allowed to interfere with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I am a Christian....I would like to have a moment of silence b/c I want my child to be reminded during the day to say a prayer. BUT if they start using a Christian prayer, then everyone else will start screaming for their prayers too........so...just a moment of silence would work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree with most of the posters. These days I would rather that they have a moment of silence instead of a formal teacher led prayer (of course if it is in public school)
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I'm not for prayer in school.. but I think the children should have the right to do so in private before homeroom if they feel they wish to.

But as for the teachers leading a prayer, or announcing them over the loud speakers.. this is where private schools come in. If a parent wants that type of environment for their child, there are plenty of private schools they can attend that will accommodate them. BUT a public school is public. To keep religious arguments to a minimum, it's better to keep them OUT of public schools. A few minutes of privacy or silence I am fine with, as long as it's done to children have the right to privacy, and respect, REGARDLESS of their religion
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't think it's necessary. My son's school does the pledge of allegence, i like that (original version with GOD in it). a moment of silence would be fine with me, but it's not necessary even to call it a moment of silence for prayer. I'm a Christian. I'm not saying we need to seperate church and school completely, yet...not everyone is of the same faith, and not everyone practices a faith. A moment of silence could allow any child to reflect on anything positve for the day.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2009