Anyone ever heard of labial adhesion ?

Just found out my daughter has labial adhesion. I never even knew that could happen. The doctor said it is common. Is it just something no one talks about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES! my dd is 3.5 and has had one for a while...she is potty trained and it makes her pee shoot out and sometimes it gets on the floor or her cloths....

Dr prescribed PREMARIN estrogen cream to place on the area and I did this 2 times a day until it opened up...which it did within a week or so of using the cream.

Then I noticed it had returned last week....so I talked to her Dr who said that after you use the premarin cream to open it up....you need to continue to use vasaline or desitin to keep it from reattaching.....so...we are using the premarin again...it sort of makes her red and a bit irritated....

Sometimes Dr's pull the adhesion apart...but they usually want to try cream first and I dont want them to do that b/c it sounds painful. And seems like it might leave the area raw and like an open wound..

I had trouble at first figuring out what I was looking for....its hard to notice unless you know what to look for.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:05 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Basically it happens b/c little girls dont have any estrogen yet and so they dont have any vaginal fluid and the area gets real dry and rubs together and eventually sticks together....

The cream is an estrogen that helps to lubricate the area and help it unstick.....

I have never heard of this either....I dont know why its not a more known thing, our Dr said it happens to most girls at one time or another.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:09 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• a friend's girls had it. so I've heard about it but never seen or experienced with my girls.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:44 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my 11 month had it we noticed it at her 2 month check up or so. They gave us a vaginal cream twice daily to put on and it went away after a few months! kind of looked like her litle girl part was sealed or something.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yes my daughter had it when she was a baby. Very easy to fix, estrogen cream, and a light stretching at every application. NOT tearing or pulling it apart, just a light stretching to help the cream to separate it. Less than a week and she was back to normal. I had actually heard about this before, because my mother went through this with my little sister (my sister is 4), but before that, I'd never heard anything about it. It's very common apparently though.

Ayla-bellesmom

Answer by Ayla-bellesmom at 11:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• We noticed it at her 2 month check up too. I know it sounds silly but at the time I didn't realize that is not what other baby girls looked like. My Dr doesn't believe in doind anything unless it starts to give her problems urinating. She said she is a baby and has no need for a vagina yet. Pulling it apart is painful and usually comes right back. Not sure how I feel about giving her hormone cream at such a young age, So I'm glad she says she doesn't want to try that yet. She just has me putting vasiline on it for now to keep it most & from closing any further. She said it opens naturally when her own hormones start to come in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jul. 24, 2009