The Business of Being Born

What did everybody think of this documentary?

sweetmoonem

Asked by sweetmoonem at 10:02 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I loved it! ..
    anything you watch is going to be extreme! The Drs are extreme in saying not birthing in a hospital is the death of you & they will show you the million of things that can go wrong during birth..
    Home birth advocates are going to show how natural & beautiful a home birth can be & it can be safe and that even if an emergency happens you can still make it to the hospital in time.. and they are going to show you how dangerous the hospital can be with your natural, healthy delivery.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It was ok. A little biased and sensational, but still held educational value. I will never look at Ricki Lake the same again, now that I've seen her naked. LOL. Its kinda like, I know you TOO well.
    Gothiclovesick

Answer by Gothiclovesick at 10:06 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• lol Yeah I saw a little too much of Ricki Lake. I also thought this it was biased and viewed hospitals as like, completely dangerous and unethical. Maybe some are, but that still sounds pretty far-fetched. I couldn't believe that one woman said that ob-gyns are totally untrained in delivering a baby. Mine knew what he was doing! lol They don't go to medical school and work so hard for nothing!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:10 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I found it ironic that the director ended up delivering in the hospital. The lesson I got was... the midwife can only do so much. Unless you have a very low risk pregnancy and live close by to a hospital should you give birth in at home. If you don't want to end up riding to the hospital in a rush, possibly with a crazy cab driver that finds every single pot hole, then plan on delivering in the hospital.

I also question all of the intevention they allege were being "forced" on women. Hospitals are not permitted to do anything without informed consent. So how does the medical community force their beliefs on anyone?

I also found the statement about babies delivered via cesarian not being able to bond because chimps don't to be very offensive. They should have cut that looney speaker out of the reel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I also question all of the intevention they allege were being "forced" on women. Hospitals are not permitted to do anything without informed consent. So how does the medical community force their beliefs on anyone?

-------------"informed consent" goes out the window as soon as your first contraction! Can you REALLY inform a woman during her contractions?! I wanted a drug free birth & after a few minutes of labor my MOM ran out (without my OK) & told the nurse to give me something NOW! She didnt OK it through me! As she was putting the drug in my IV she mentioned what she was giving me....
    When you sign all those hospital papers you are handing over your consent pretty much during your birth... they will make choices for you...and they only inform u on what you "need 2 know!".
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• MommaTasha, that is your moms fault, not the hospitals.

Hospitals staff are super careful because they know they can be sued for anything these days. I interviewed a few midwifes and found them waaaay more pushy than my OB or any of the nurses at the hospital were.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I thought the video was pretty biased. I would personally never use a midwife or give birth at home. I felt so much safer in a hospital. So many things can go wrong...it seems silly to give birth at home. You can lose your entire blood supply in less than 5 minutes in a post-partum hemorrage, as one of the doctors put it. Why risk that in ANY pregnancy, even a low-risk one???
    This video I think was intended to show women that midwifes are better and safer than hospitals and ob-gyns. They said that ob-gyns are surgeons who should only perform cesarean deliveries and other surgeries. True they are surgeons, but that does not mean they don't know how to deliver a baby naturally and without drugs! I know it seems that way because drugs are used so much in hospitals, but that's just not the case. Not every ob-gyn is like that. It is easy for me to believe that doctors in big-city hospitals are like that, however.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:21 AM on Jul. 26, 2009