Do you Mother like your Mother?

Do you generally parent like you were raised? If not and you're like me trying to not parent like your parents where do you learn from?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• My mother is my rock. she had to quite school and help raise 3 other kids while my grandmother got a job after my grand dad left her. she has had a hard life but you always see a smile on her face. she loves her family more than anthing in this world and that is the same way i feel.
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• "quit" lol sorry
    rose549

• I parent like my parents in that I know when respect is deserved and to be given and I'm strict with that. I'm different in that my parents were prejudiced against race and disabilities and selfesteem.

Those three things are what I encourage always my kids to be caring and thoughtful of throughout their lives. My kids and now midtwenties down to teens. They are all compassionate and go above and beyond every day kindness to be respectful to those whose jobs are low and those who's academics are low. I am a successful mother since my first pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• anon922 again... my parents teaching of respect was for us kids to respect our elders but to not be strong for selfesteem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I hope I parent like my parents! I would be lucky if I'm anything close to as good as they were with me!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Oh God no! I'm married and actually AROUND for my children--unlike my mother!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think we should learn from our parents. I know that even the best parents didn't do everything right, and my parents were some of the best. We keep the parts that were successful and we change the parts that may have needed some improvement. If you were not blessed to have had good parents, I think you look around you for some older couples who were successful and you ask questions of them. Most older adults will be willing to share with you their failures as well as their successes. They won't mind a bit trying to help you be the best parent you can possibly be.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:44 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my parnets were hippies and didnt want to take care of me.. so my dads parents step in.. they raised me from 0-now.. they adoptd me at age two, they let me do whatever i wanted, we had money, maid, i was popular, the works, then got out on my own and had to learn the hard way.. how to cook, do laundry, clean, it was awful.. i dont want my boys to be like that.. they need to know how to do crap, chores, be real gental men, my grandma was very suck up and high class, and i dont want my boys to treat ppl i did when i was growing up..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 10:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No. I speak gently to my children, and I don't hit them. I'm not around them while drunk/drinking. I am rational when it comes to discipline and don't punish them for things that aren't that big of a deal. My DF is not abusive and he does not hit my children either. We tell our children that they are beautiful. We let our children explore the world around them. We tell them not to be afraid. It's OK for our children to make a bit of a mess.

I'm not saying my childhood was ALL horrible, but my parents were the complete opposite of what I described there. I grew up paranoid about everything because my parents sheltered me from so much. I got teased about the way I looked, which screwed with my self esteem. We were punished for the dumbest things. We were spotless all of the time.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 10:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I sure hope I parent like my mom... I still call on her for advice daily. I dont' think I am even as good as she is at this - but I am working on it still!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2009