Do you Mother like your Mother?

Do you generally parent like you were raised? If not and you're like me trying to not parent like your parents where do you learn from?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh hell ho. I told my husband to leave me and take the kids if I ever become like my mother.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:01 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I parent like how I was raised. I don't parent like my mother though. Then again, my mother never raised me. It was my grandparents or brothers. My grandparents took me in for awhile and then when my mom wanted me back my brothers took over. I would've starved if it wasn't for my one brother.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:03 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My parents weren't perfect, in fact, there are things they really shouldve done differently, especially between my sisters and me, so those are the things I try to avoid. However, I find myself parenting like my mom at times, because she was always cautious of us, and it was real important to her to have family meals together. She did the best she could, and I'm alive, and I have morals, and I know I always have a place to go if I need one, so she couldn't hav been all that bad, and I hope to be better, but just as good as her.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My mom doesn't even parent her younger kids like she parented me...It was messed up!!!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 11:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Never. I encourage my son to reach his full potential, get an education, and not settle in life. I also teach tolerance of other people regardless of race, disability, and life circumstances. I only have one child but if I have another one I will not make differences between the two and I will not openly admit that one child is smarter than the other. I will not bail my children out of every situation in life b/c they would never learn mistakes have consquences. I love my son and I also show him the importances of having a great relationship with my husband in the fact I dont forget about my husband because I became a mom.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my parnts where great except for a few issues. i model myself after them on the issues i agree with then after my girlfriend's mom on the subject we disagreed on. I refused to teach my daughters the N-word nor did i let any one use it in front of them. i would rather hear the f word than the other.
    I did come up with some ideas on my own. We posted dating rules by the door so that they didn't change to suit the wind and every young man knew ahead of time when curfew was and what the rules for attending a party was. I did not use grounding habitually like my mom did. But we did take away phone privelages. that really stings a teen age girl to be with out a phone for two weeks. This was before Cell phones or they would have lost them also
    I must have done something right because both my girls ask me for advice
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I wish I could! My mother is more fun than I am and had more patience I think. She was pretty much a perfect mother all the time when I was growing up, and I know that giving me love and yet space to do my own thing must have been very hard, but she got the balance just right and was demanding while still a lot of fun. I hav eno idea how she did it but I am in awe.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I hope that I can at least be HALF the Mother my Mom is!!! She's amazing! I still talk to her almost everyday! and no matter what, I know I will ALWAYS have my Mom to turn to for whatever I need!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Staying as far away from the way I was raised as I can.

As for "from where did I learn"....it's called instinct. Use it. Use your childhood as an example as what NOT to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree with Nannyb, we take the good and try to fix the not so good. My parents, like all parents, did the best the knew how. For the most part it was really good. My dad I think was actually a better parent than my mom. He knew how to make you feel really good about yourself, while mom was not so good at that! They both taught us morals and respect and all the really important things to make sure we were good kind humans. Having said that, No I don't parent like them. I do teach my kids to be compassionate and kind to all. They know respect for themselves and others. I took what I was taught and added trust and honesty. Two very important things in my house. I am not my mother and my girls are not me. We take each day as it comes and I hope for the best. The biggest thing my girls know that I didn't know when I was a teenager is as their mom I am the one person who they can always rely on. Their dad too!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2009