Would you let your kids watch the old looney toons?

From back when smoking and painting people up as "black faces" was ok in children's cartoons.

MythicMMM

Asked by MythicMMM at 10:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes it beats all the stupid anime stuff out now.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• We have bought several of those collections on DVD, and our grandchildren love to watch them. I find them far superior to the insulting, loud and disrespectful behavior displayed in what are considered to be today's cartoons. I also have bought some of the old Three Stooges and Our Gang stuff. My grandchildren often request to watch those instead of what is currently on television.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• it didnt corrupt us then.. its fine now .. only thing is now is that we are TOO paranoid bout how we do anything breath move anything
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 10:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• yes!
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• yep!

and they watch then with perplexed faces ask "mommy is this the cartoon you used to watch??" they don't find much funny.

but they do love bugs bunny, elmer, and tweety - and scooby doo.
    I tried to get them to watch one of the new retro channels with fraggle rock, the raccoons and other shows...but they vetoed me real fast. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:40 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well, the "blackface" and all other racist cartoons from Looney Tunes and from Tom and Jerry have all been banned from stations like Cartoon Network or Boomerang, so my oldest does watch it sometimes. I don't think my child wouldn't understand it as much as I did when I was a kid.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 10:43 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yes in a heartbeat. I actually have found some old Tom & Jerry cartoons on Cartoon Network and my son loves them. I wish we could afford that channel that only shows old shows.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:01 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• We love the old shows. Tom and Jerry, the Flintstones, the Jetsons, Scooby, and most of all Bugs Bunny.
    penguinqueengi

Answer by penguinqueengi at 11:04 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• LOL - yeah. Theyr'e cartoons. I watched them when I was a kid, and I didn't turn out badly. :-)
    MinstrelMommy

Answer by MinstrelMommy at 11:05 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son DOES watch that, he loves tom and jerry too. I think that was quality cartoons at their finest. It sure beats some of the cartoons I'm guilty of letting him watch, especially stupid Anime. I always wondered why they dont play Looney tunes on Saturday mornings anymore. My dad used to watch them with me...I like Yosemite Sam, Coyote and roadrunner, and Marvin the Martian the best.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 24, 2009