My son is 7 and he has difficulty staying focused when doing school work - should I be concerned or will he grow out of this?

kmhen

Asked by kmhen at 10:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Clean up the family diet and add fish oil supplements (use a high quality brand, like nordic naturals); feel free to contact me for dietary suggestions

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There could be many factors into why he can not stay focused. He could be bored and need something more engaging to do. What kind of work does the teacher give him, does she just pass out worksheets or does she make learning fun? He COULD have ADHD, but most doctors are more into just giving you some drugs and not helping you with the problem, this could become a problem down the line when he is older as he would be dependent on those drugs to get him through the day.
    Anonymous

• When my son was 7 he went through alot of problems staying focused when in school. I even had him evaluated for ADHD. The guidence counsler at school helped him as well. He had sheet of paper that he kept in school and in his folders he needed to remember. It turned out that it was really just a phase. This past year he didn't have the same problems. I truely believe it is the age. About the ADHD the doctor that I took him too without even talking with him or doing an exam wrote out a script. I never filled it and at times I regreted but looking back now I know I did the right thing. He needed to mature and once he hit third grade he was a different child. I once said to the teacher if talking was his worst behavior I could deal with that.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I know sooo many moms don't buy into the ADHA or ADD hype. Howerver,I was that mother and my 6 year old has it. Her school work wasn't to good she was getting bad marks she couldnt focus!!! She has told me thank you for taking her to the dr.
    I would try to do some attention exercises(sp).
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 2:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Schools are not well suited to the physical movement needs of little boys, and the more little boyish your lad is (and the more the teacher expects all kids to behave like good little girls) the more problems he'll have in school.

Have you looked around the classroom? Is there 2 square feet of bare wall in the whole room? While it is 'normal' in our heads to have a full, rich environment with something new to look at every foot and a half, it is not what a child's brain is good at handling, particularly 'visual' learners --it's just too much information. Then there is the noise and movement of the other kids, whatever's going on outside the window and the stuff in the desk to explore or revisit.

Frankly, I would say that the teacher and the work are probably the least interesting things in the room. Being able to pay attention to either amid all those distractions is a major achievement for a 7yo.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• He's 7.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 10:54 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• has the school suggested anything, good schools will helpout any way they can, school starts soon, maybe they can do some testing before it starts or have any other ideas for you

seven is young, sometimes kids need to get used to rules

my step daughter does not have ADHD but had a hard time settling down in 1st grade, she was in 3rd last year and doing fine, still talks out of turn, but follows rules and can do homework without help and needs no reminders to get it done when she gets home

my step has ADHD, but it behavoir too, I was not around yet when he was dignosed when he was around 7 or 8 years old

good luck
    reach out to school for help
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• most kids with a d d for example have trouble staying focused on play or schoolwork or sunday school or tv shows. i'd keep a strict homework schedule after a bit on wind down time this coming school year to see if homework, for example, is started too late. That was a definite problem for my kids plus also going to bed late affected their behavior and learning for days too when they were up late. It was hard for them to unwind from late hours and slow down again.

Try, when doing homework, to give a yummy cracker upon completion of x problems. Also, do or did his teachers give stickers to acknowledge your son's attempts to work? Acknowledging attempt at that young age is important. Teachers need to believe their students are smart not that they're not able to learn in a speciic setting.

Why not get some workbooks this summer and play pretend baseball math or spelling for every right answer, sometimes good attempt?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jul. 24, 2009