What's a special holiday unique to your religion?

I was just wondering because today is Pioneer day celebrated by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

It marks the day the Mormon pioneers first entered the Salt Lake Valley after being forced out of state after state by mobs. We honor their sacrifice they went through in crossing the plains.

It's also a state holiday in Utah, but they take a secular approach to it, and take the day to recognize people in the community who have blazed trails and helped others in their own way- modern pioneers; which I think is a pretty nice touch.

Now it's time to share yours - and happy pioneer day, I'm off to a pancake breakfast :)

Everyone be nice okay.

mogencreative

Asked by mogencreative at 10:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Pentecost Sunday. It is the Sunday we commerate the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:4
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• raised catholic
    Easter is the big one

it is uopposed to be bigger than Christmas, but Christmas has turned into trappling others to get that special advertised toy at WalMart (sad)
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't know if you can consider Easter as unique considering Ostara....but that is just me.

Lughnasadh

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:13 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• We celebrate Advent - the time period before Christmas that signifies the waiting of the Christ by the Jews.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't know if you consider Halloween as unique considering it's Samhain for some.

Samhain

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• xtians stealing pagan holidays aside..i mean, who really cares??? easter is a big one for xtians..representing the death/burial/resurrection of christ...but everyone knew that.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I wasn't talking about stealing or trying to be rude....she said unique, that is why I brought it up.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:31 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• xtians stealing pagan holidays aside..i mean, who really cares???  No one implied anything about stealing one holiday from another, but to answer your who cares?... some do but that is besides the point isn't it????

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:50 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Beltane is unique to Paganism.
    tinkerbelle18

Answer by tinkerbelle18 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• We celebrate Chronica at our house...It is the chronic (yearly), obligatory, capitalist spending spree that afflicts many during the winter season....whether or not you are religious and whether or not you can afford it. Brought on by guilt and pressure to conform it results in many dysfunctional gatherings (usually families but often at the workplace at which people drink too much egg nog and tell each other off, or act inappropriately and often drive home drunk or angry - or both) where people exchange trinkets and objects that people may or may not want to give or receive. If you are careful, the credit cards can be paid off before the start of the next Chronica season (which begins earlier every year).

Less thought of as a holiday is the summer yard sale, where unused Chronica trinkets are removed from closets, sold for one fifth of their value, and monies are used to pay debts so the cycle may begin again.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009