• In the Spotlight:

Spit Up

My 15 month old spits up after drinking milk, is it a milk intolerance? What can I replace cow's milk with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use soy for my son. He is intolerant but got ezcema and tummy aches from drinking it. I would imagine he's not handling it well if he's spitting it up.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Did your son also spit up a lot when he was on formula/breast milk? Could be an intollerance or it could also be reflux. How much does he spit up of it?
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:47 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Us lactose free, my daughter had the same problem, she also has reflux and for some reason it subsided when I started using lactose free cows milk
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:48 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son also spit up when he was on formula, but not breastmilk. I had to stop nursing when he was 7 months. I don't drink milk either. My son also has ezcema and is very congested all the time. Is soy milk safe?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Why wouldn't soy be safe? Have you head something ? I has my son on Soy formula and he drinks soy milk and eats soy cheese. As soon as I stopped whole milk he started sleeping at ight and as soon as I stopped dairy his ezcema went away instantly.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You can replace milk with nothing at all, at 15mo. It would be normal for a baby that age to still be nursing, but if he's weaned there is no reason to add any other mammal's milk to his diet.

Cow's milk is 'normal' in our culture, but in other parts of the world people think it's as gross a food idea as we think dog's milk is. In those cultures, milk is not ever a part of any weaned person's diet, and somehow they manage to live without all the Dairy Bureau hype about how 'perfect' a food it is.

A varied diet made up of a variety of foods in as close to their natural state as possible is a healthy diet for people... milk or no milk.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You are probably on to something. Either an intollerance or an allergy.

Soy milk is safe, if your son does not have a reaction to it. My son has a dairy allergy, but we give him Rice Milk instead of soy milk. On occasion, he will have a glass of soy milk, and he does get it in his diet in other ways, as well. However, there are high levels of estrogen in the soy milk, and I just choose not to let my son have too much of it.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2009