im starting college in a few months and thinking of becoming an elementary teacher what is a day like in an elementary class?I think i would like to teach pre k or kindegarden. It really stressfull?

Id like to get a better idea of what its really like to teach elementary school. Are there any teachers out there that can give me examples of what a day is really like in class with elementary kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I worked in 3-4 y/o preK. It gets crazy and hectic. But if you plan a lot of high energy actvities and intersperse them with low energy ones, you should be fine. We always took a dance break for fifteen minutes every half hour. yeah we didn't get as much "work" done as we could have, but the kids nehaved so much better.
    Here is a basic timetable of what we did:

Breakfast
    quiet play(puzzles, coloring, story time, etc)
    dance
    Physical game(simon says, etc)
    Letter and number of day
    dance
    Color of day with hunt for color around the room/school
    color pictures that focused on color of day and letter, # (ie 3 blue Bumblebees, for 3, B, and blue)
    lunch
    dance and recess for 1/2 hr
    nap for 1-2 hrs(we would grade papers then, and set up afternoon activities)
    Centers forcusing on lessons learned in the morning
    The Sharing game(we woul have show and tell but turn it into a time to share also by having each ki
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I have a degree in Early Childhood Education.

Right now I teach music and computers to Kindergartners....I love it. But it has to be the right fit for you. Everybody is different and likes different things...I personally love the hours b/c I am always home for my kids...never have to worry about working a holiday.

See if there is a friend or someone who would be willing to let you visit for a couple of days...seeing is the best way to learn ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:13 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Also if u get a degree in early childhood education, then the school can place you wherever they need you. from k-6. if you get a PRIMARY pre-k degree then you are specifically fro pre-k - 3. I prefer the earlier ages too, but you have a better chance at getting a job if you do early childhood education.

that being said, if you love kids and can stand to be around them all day long then it shouldnt be too stressful. Try to work as an aftercare teacher or preschool teacher first. It should give you a pretty good idea of what running a classroom is about.

my friend and i both were going for ec degrees. we both have children of our own and because of her son, she changed her mind about being a teacher. I still wanna do it. I will be going back for my bachelors degree after my next son is born. Personally, I cant wait until I start teaching. Also while getting your degree, they put you in actual classroom settings.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• That why you know what to expect better.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• passing it to another child and having that child repeat what they said
    Dance
    Make a book(we would create "books" with the papers they have colored through the day to bring home to show parents what they did, staples and glue glitter etc, for cover, where all that were needed)
    dance
    Good-bye!
    Head home, stiff drink, foot massage LOL
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009