What is emo?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• emotional
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• mmmm how about .......... elks molt outside? idunno. i hope its something funny.
    Anonymous

• The kids that claim to be Emo in my area all dress exactly the same can't tell who is a boy or who is a girl. They tend to walk around looking depressed and say everything sucks. I guess being miserable is cool right now.lol Not saying that is what Emo is supposed to be but that is what the kids in my area are doing. Suicide rates in teens have gone up since this has hit our area sadly.
    Anonymous

• "Emo" is not short for "Emotional." "Emo" does not mean Taking Back Sunday and Dashboard Confessional, despite what MTV has lead you to believe in the last few years. "Emo" is not sidebangs, tight pants, and male vocalists who sing like little girls about their failed relationships. In the early 90s there was a movement in the hardcore genre that came to be known as "Emotive Hardcore," spearheaded by Rites Of Spring. As far as I can tell, some lazy journalist somewhere, writing an article about them, decided "Well, no one knows what emo is anyways, so I'll call these bands "emo" - sounds more appealing than bubblegum pop rock..and the spiral continued downwards into the current amalgomation of bands MTV has told everyone is "emo." Somehow, people decided that "emo" meant "emotional," which is obviously bullshit, as 99% of bands make music to illicit emotion, which would make "emotional" a completely all-encompassing genre."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• ^^^^^^^^^The author of the above passage seemed to be very passionate about the "correct " definition so I thought I'd share it with you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• They never say what emo is in that passage just what it is not.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Answered at 9:16 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 by: Anonymous
    They never say what emo is in that passage just what it is not.lol

"In the early 90s there was a movement in the hardcore genre that came to be known as "Emotive Hardcore," spearheaded by Rites Of Spring. "

read the whole thing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My daughters told me that teens who consider themselves emo typically cut themselves and are depressed. I don't know if it is true depression or an attention grabber, but they definitely need some help.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2009