do you pay tithes?

is this something that you believe is or is not required for New Testament Believers? I know of one particular religion says that a tithe which means a tenth is not necessary...because that was an Old Testament Commandment....

Msunique80

Asked by Msunique80 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hello I do pay my tithes every week :) I have missed a few times but i try to catch back up..
    Here aer some verses in the New Testament that might help you understand that God still wants us to pay them :) God bless
    2 Corinthians 9:7
    Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
    Luke 18:12
    I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’
    1 Corinthians 16:2
    On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come.
    1 Timothy 5:17-18
    Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer deserves his wages.”

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• 1 Corinthians 16:1-4
    Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come. And when I arrive, I will send those whom you accredit by letter to carry your gift to Jerusalem. If it seems advisable that I should go also, they will accompany me.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I would have to say that YES i do pay my Tithes..and LOVE IT...I think since its in the bible and that is GODS word we have to go buy it!
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 11:15 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• MOST DEFINITELY!!!!! Tithing is one small way to show your appreciation to the Lord and your Church. At our Church our pastor does not get paid to lead us. So whatever we contribute goes toward the bills and upkeep of our facility. We are a VERY small congregation, so just paying the electric bill each month is a task. But we all do our best to make sure we tithe every week.
    Stephanedawn

Answer by Stephanedawn at 11:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• We give when we do go to church, but we also tithe in other ways such as donating to charities and thrift stores (salvation army, goodwill, hospice, etc). There are other ways to tithe that aren't monetary - tithe your time, a talent, food, clothes . . . it all counts in the eyes of God.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I do pay tithes 10%. Tithing is also for today... not just old testament. I have tried it both ways and giving God 10% and living off 90 %... my 90% goes further than me trying to live off the 100% and not ggive God the 10%.

Just trust God - pay the 10% and know He is God who cannot lie and He will be faithful and true to His word and promises.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i welcome more responses, but thank you guys above for the verses (i have made note and read them) and encouragement. just making sure i am doing the right thing...xoxox
    Msunique80

Answer by Msunique80 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i dont think its necessary to give an exact amount, but i think it is important to help the church you belong to keep its budget (utilities, missions, etc). my DH & i (when we belonged to a church) use to give the same amount every week & it was part of our budget. now we just throw in whatever my DH has in cash at the moment.

i agree w/ jennijune that tithe doesnt have to be money. if you cant afford to give money, give of something you do have. i feel God would rather we spend our time doing things in his name than just throwing money at Him (the church).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• yes I do pay tithes. It may not be mention specifically in the new testament but it is a principle that still works.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yes I do tithe... I do not want to steal from my beloved Lord !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009