I think one of my daycare kids is autist, how do I approach the mother?

I have a little girl that I take care of she is going to be three in August. She shows all the signs of being autistic. (I have been reading on the internet) I have said something to the mom and she said she is perfectly normal. But she shows ALL the signs!!!! I need to know what to do to help her, I know she is not my child!!! But I have been taking care of her for over a year now and I want what's best for her. Should I print the information and hand it to her or should I just let her figure it out? She says there is nothing wrong with her, per her pediatrician. HELP PLEASE

Stephanedawn

Asked by Stephanedawn at 11:15 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think that her mother and pediatrician probably know best, don't you think?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I would print out the information and let her read for herself. Yes it's not your child but your just looking out for her and want her to get the help she needs now instead of later.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Her pediatrician should have been able to make a diagnosis. You did what you should already by mentioning it to her mother.

Answer by Bmat at 11:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• YOU DONT! She is a mother, who I am sure has a pediatrician and can find out the information when and how she needs too.

when you here someone say that it is DEVASTATING and can cause serious stress and heart ache...

I believe we all learn the truth when we are personally ready to hear it. And chances are she already knows it in her heart.

My dd is autistic, and I feel for this mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree with the PP who said don't say anything. BUT as a homecare provider you may look into games and activities that may help your care of her run smoother.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You have done all that you should. You have brought your observations/concerns to the mother's attention; it's up to her to take the next step when she is ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• MYOB. I know that sucks, but let her find out on her own
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• you've done your job. You saw something the ped needs to check out, he/she did. That 's all you can do.

Now, that doesn't mean the ped is right. there are a lot of misdignosed cases of autism from peds who just dont' know enough about it.

If i was the mom, i would get my child checked by a professional in the autism field. But, as the provider, you can't really do anymore without stepping on the parents toes.

And to the first response, no, the mother may not know what is best. Don't feel bad about being concerned. It's a shame too many people think daycare providers don't know anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Keep records of what you see/experience with the child. If, down the road, it turns out the child is diagnosed with a disabilty, your records my help give the doctors some insight into when/how it started. This will be your way of helping without crossing the mother. Also, you should keep records on all children, for yourself. All centers/schools do this, why shouldn't you?
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Is this an at home daycare or licensed center? Because my sister works at a licensed center where my daughter attended and they were REQUIRED to do a yearly evaluation of ALL the childrens abilities and delays and offer us a copy of the report. It touched on everything from social interactions to scissor usage. Perhaps setting up a facility wide eval would be helpful to ALL the parents.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 12:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009