black light

My mom got a black light for the kids to use and we want to make a few things and look at them in the light. I think highlighter glows and I've heard something about putting liquid fabric softner in a water bottle and it will glow blue. Do I add water? How much fabric softner? Any other ideas of something to make?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Trial and error?
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• they have those felt things at walmart and craft stores, where u color part of it and the rest is black ( sorry, thats a terrible description), and also the glow in the dark stars and such that u can decorate rooms with.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• White and yellow glow best. Have you looked for the glow-in-the-dark crayons?

Apparently, male cat pee glows under black light... although I don't know who figured that out!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Also get a glass bottle. Fill it up and take the cap off a high lighter and stick it in there. May take a few days for all the ink to get out. Have fun.
    Anonymous

• That sounds cool!
    The only thing I heard black lights were used for was by a landlord looking for cat urine stains in the carpeting after a tenant moves out. Even if the tenant has the carpets shampooed the spots still glow because the urine bleeds through the carpet to the floor. Oddest thing!
    Anyhow, have fun - I would love to hear all about what you and the kids end up doing.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2009