Cord Blood Banking

I'm a first time Mom and I'm due September 7th. I was wondering if anyone has saved there babies cord blood and what company you went through.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My sister looked into through ViaCord but it was sooooooo expensive she ultimately couldn't afford to do it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• we did , I don't even know what companies there are... because we made a decision 5 min before my baby was delivered, luckily my doc had a box with everything you need for blood cord banking just in case..so we just called the # on the box and went with them...

Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i looked into it through viacord as well and it is seriously expensive even for all the "discounts" they have going around. we are just holding out that if something happens to our babe we'll "my sister's keeper" it and get a genetically matched baby and save that cord blood.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 11:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I saved my son's cord blood and would definately do it again. It is a little expensive but completely worth it, if God for Bid you have to someday use it..I went through CorCell and they were amazing!! If you refer someone, they give you a year of free storage!! If you want more information, feel free to e-mail me at jmoran5059@hotmail.com. My aunt is actually one of the executives for them so I know a little more about it than the usual person!! Good Luck with Baby!!!
    jmoran

Answer by jmoran at 1:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Since no one is putting actual figures, I will tell you my cousins VIACORD experience. Basically before that cord blood leaves the hospital, you will have to pay $3,000+ (whether you put it on a credit card or finance it) depending if your doctor/hospital will charge you for it, if yes, then expect a little bit more. Then you will have to pay about $150 a year to have it (which they only do prepaid by 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 years (so for a prepaid 20 years, that would be another $3,000 before your first year is up. Then they will start doing all these bullsh*t storage fee cleaning and technician fees for labeling and cooling and storing so expect to pay another $500-600. If you are ready to pay about $7000 within 2 years then GO FOR IT because the life you will save if YOUR BABY! Also, when you do need it there is MORE TO PAY just not sure how much, my cousin hasn't been there
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 1:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009