ANOTHER QUESTION REGARDING TITHES

do you think that we should ONLY give our tithe to the church we attend? Or do you think that God is pleased with giving that money to a charity or to someone you know is in need...I am thinking of doing all of the above but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do....And are we to tithe AND give offering? Or is the tithe your offering...what are your thoughts/beliefs?

Msunique80

Asked by Msunique80 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Our Priest specifically mentioned this once saying that whatever you can give, you should consider giving part to charity and part to the Church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• A friend of mine is a professional fundraiser (who knew) for a major worldwide charity and she strongly recommends looking at the giving that you do through a couple of critical lenses, and to make plans each year for who and what you'll give.

She says it's an excellent way to put off persistent telemarketers seeking donations, to say 'that's not in my giving plan for this year, could you send me your information so I can consider it for next year?'

Basically, you need to decide where you think your money will work best for your goals and values. Whether you support political parties, children's charities, education or any other segment of the market you can think of, when you know why you're giving, it's much easier to know who to give to, and feel that your contributions are making a difference that is important to you.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Tithe goes to the church. The bible says bring your tithes into the "storehouse". Anything above and beyond that is offerings.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I believe that anything you give (and I have already stated this) - weather it be time, clothes, food, money, or whatever, is tithing. Some of us just don't have the monetary ends to be able to give money to the church. I firmly believe that God understands this and is pleased with WHATEVER we can do - regardless of what or how much it is, or to whom it goes to.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Tithe goes to the church. The bible says bring your tithes into the "storehouse". Anything above and beyond that is offerings

Exactly!

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I believe that God wants our Tithe to go to the church/church activities. This would include helping a child in the church attend church camp that otherwise couldn't afford to go, supporting missionary's in the church, etc. I know that many of us believe that our budgets are so tight that we can't afford to tithe but I believe the exact opposite. That I can't afford to not tithe and tithe is money! I have found that if I tithe out of my purse that God has provided for me in ways I never dreamed possible. He tells us that if we tithe that he will open up the floodgates and bless us. There were times I didn't know how I was going to pay a bill if I tithed but I did anyhow and somehow that bill was paid. It may have been in the form of overtime, a refund check I didn't expect, etc but it was always there for me and always in the amount I needed. Never more or less. The times I didn't tithe are the times that the $$ wasnt' there
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• our first fruits should go to the church and everything else to other things. Really you need to follow what the Holy Spirit says in your own heart. I tithe to my church and they use the money to bless the ministries they operate.. such as the homeless ministry in San Francisco.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• What Bonn777 said!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You should treat your chuch as a community that has needs. The church needs to have a pastor to preach, lights to see, water for various reasons and general maintinence. If you're attending a church and using these facilities and services, you have a responsibility as a chuch/community member to help contribute. I don't think tithes just have to be money as many people do not have much to give. I tithe as much as I can monentarily and also took over the job as the editor of the church newsletter which they normally were paying someone to do (it's huge; it takes a lot of time) for free. I also donate whatever I can give to church programs so that the church ends up spending less money meeting its various needs.

Any non-related church giving that I do, I still give credit to God. But I make sure MY church is taken care of first :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• yup i also agree with bonn777 on this great answer sister
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2009