Am I being unreasonable with my daughter's day care?

My daughter goes to daycare most days. I am self-employed and work from home, but travel for work sometimes. I work odd hours too, so I don't always need to take her in at 8:30 AM - sometimes 10AM works better for me. Some weeks I may work 25 hours, while other weeks I may work 50+ hours. Her dad is a teacher (we're divorced) and he picks her up sometimes. Right now he is teaching summer school and has a lot of flexibility in his schedule + Fridays off. Still, she needs to go to daycare most days. My problem is that the daycare staff (not her teachers, mostly the assistant director) is grumpy with me about the fact that her schedule is irregular. They want me to call every morning to let them know if she will be coming in and when; life is crazy around here and I sometimes forget. Then they call to bug me to find out and act pi**ed. I still pay them the full amount for a full week no matter what. What to do?

ellavision

Asked by ellavision at 11:50 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• And there is probably not a lot you can do to fix it....and the staff should still be friendly and nice about it....understanding as well...but I can see how it throws off the day in regards to how they are caring for your child.

Is this a preschool daycare....b/c they tend to be more reliant on times you bring your child in.....just wondering.

I was not bashing you above...I have just seen this thing happen before, and thought I would pass along what I have seen.....as a mom, you do the best ya can ;) lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You pay there fees, and there not coming is specially for you, I would switch day cares, they is just weird, My grandma had a day care and my nieces and newphews have all went to them and I have never herd of them doing that, or even calling you at all about when your kid is coming in or not.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:54 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well, they do have to plan for meals and snacks and such, and if you're bringing her in during naptime, that could be disruptive, so I can see why they would like a heads up. And if they never know when to expect her or if they should expect her at all, that could be very frustrating. I don't see what the big deal is for you to call them and tell them what time you will be dropping her off. Or tell them when you pick her up that she will be in at X time the next day. I don't think they're asking that much of you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Why are you paying for service you are not getting? The reason they call is there are state laws requiring a certain number of adults to certain age children. I.E. In Colorado I believe the ratio for 3-6 yr olds is 2 teachers per 8 kids. But the ratio changes if you get one 2 yr old. But you shouldn't have to pay them if she isn't there. Is there anyway to find another daycare that would be more flexible? Makes you wonder what they treat your daughter like.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I work at a daycare and I can tell you why its a problem.

We have kids like this who come in at all hours of the day and it causes the kids to have issues like: they dont want lunch b/c they just ate breakfast. (wasted food) they dont know how many to count for lunch b/c they never know if your child is coming in for lunch or not.

They also sometimes cry b/c they are on such a screwy schedule that it confuses them....kids work best when they know what is coming...they do better on a stricked routine.

when they come in at 11:00, and we go down for nap at 12:40....after lunch, they dont want to sleep b/c they slept late that morning...so a teacher is left to deal with an upset toddler who doesnt want to lay down and wants to play.

The teacher prepares her lesson for the day for a certain amount of children, then another one pops in.
    (it is a preschool daycare)

With all that said.....I UNDERSTAND YOUR situation, cont
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Find a better daycare. They should not be calling you and bugging you, especially if you pay the full amount. So, here's the inside story behind daycare centers...even if you pay the full amount, if there is physical space, they can fill it and therefore collect more $. They are wanting to fill your untaken space with another child to increase their own pockets. I've worked in centers like this many times (i don't agree with it), which is why i do home daycare (if a parent pays for a space, it's their space, regarless if they are in attendance or not). Find a daycare that will understand your situation and be helpful to you, rather than a nussiance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• ven if you pay the full amount, if there is physical space, they can fill it and therefore collect more $. They are wanting to fill your untaken space with another child to increase their own pockets

That doesnt make sense....if they can  have 7 babies in a room.....and 7 are paying....it doesnt matter if they all come or not...they will still only get paid for 7...

If one doesnt come, its just an easier day on the teacher.

she is paying, it doesnt matter if she comes or not.

Anonymous

• They cant fill her untaken space with a chilld to get more money b/c if she happens to come one day then they would be over their numbers...
    Anonymous

• talk to the director, they can be concerned about "numbers" or whatever, but they don't need to be grumpy about it. They need to be professional towards you, and if they have a problem with you, address it with you. I would find another daycare if it was me.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• They need to know for licensing reasons. Also, the kids follow a schedule. You are being unreasonable to think that your daycare doens't need to know and that you don't need to tell them.
    Anonymous