The sex of the baby and weight gain... old wives tale?

I just found out i'm having a baby girl and I was wondering if its true that women who are carrying girls gain more weight....? I've noticed in comparison with a friend who has the same body type as me whos expecting a boy, has a much tighter looking bump, where I feel like mine takes up my whole torso! Is it just an old wives tale?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yup
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• With my frist dd I gained in total 8 pounds after I gained back the 13 i lost in the begining. With my 2nd dd I gained 30 pounds. So I think its a old wives tale.
    penguinqueengi

Answer by penguinqueengi at 12:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I gained 39 with a boy, and put on weight in the hips, butt and...well...everywhere else. My belly was like yours.
    Anonymous

• Hell no unless yall are gonna be eating the SAME FOOD, at the SAME TIME, sh*tting at the same time and everything at the same time. What if you eat salads and the one having the opposite sex eats pizza all the time? Of course you would be thinner than her. There is NO DAMN WAY to PROVE that carrying a BOY or GIRL is heavier than the other. I mean for real, do you eat junk food? Then expect to gain some weight. If you eat healthy, then you won't gain as much weight regardless of what you are having.
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 1:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Weight gain is not as straight forward as you think . when I had my girl I gained only 9 pounds in all after I lost 7 pounds initially. My doctor said my baby is going to be under weight and I ate cheese and every other fatty food out there for the last 3 straight months and still towards the end my doc said my baby will be like 5.5 pounds may be and did a scan. Finally my DD was born 1 day before my due date and weighed a healthy 7 pounds even.
    I believe you are either wired to gain weight or you are not. And if you are not, it doesn't matter what you eat, you aren't going to gain any weight.
    Anonymous