why new clothes for school?

i am just curious why do u need to buy a ton of new clothes just for school. well unless they need uniforms. also why new bookbags every year.

kd2kds

Asked by kd2kds at 12:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in

• Part of it is tradition, but there's also a need. We're in shorts here from April-October. By the time August rolls around, the shorts that have been worn the previous months are starting to look worn. I want my kids to dress nicely for school, in nice clothes. They wear the old summer clothing for play clothes after I've bought the new.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• because kids wear the heck out of clothes like its their goal to stain/rip everything! plus kids are cruel and if your wearing old clothes they tend to get teased and kids love getting new clothes.. least i do makes me feel better might make your child feel good as well.. my parents set aside 400-500 a year to get new clothes and went over nite in the big city next to us to go shopping and we made a weekend out of it! was alot of fun
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 12:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I am not one that buys all new each year. I usually buy a few new things to supplement what he has. Also I don't buy a new backpack, because I bought an expensive one to start.
    If you buy cheap backpacks they only last one year.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• We won't be buying new backpacks. Like Nathskitten, we bought quality ones last year & they are doing great. In fact, our school actually discourages buying new stuff just for the sake of buying something new. We won't be buying much in the way of new clothes although we will get new shoes for everyone.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My kids got new backpacks when they went into preschool but not again until this year, when they're going into 1st and 2nd grades. I don't see the need in buying brand new bags every year if the one from the previous year is still fine.
    My kids are hard on clothes, and the clothes that were fine at the end of one school year aren't good enough for school the following school year. Not to mention, kids grow. Both of mine have gone through growth spurts this summer. When he got out of school, he was wearing size 7 pants. Now he's in size 8s. My daughter was in size 5's, now she's in 6's. Last years clothes don't fit.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i was so curious because i will get new clothes if they are getting too small or of course really stained and/or ripped. my daughter is 5 and going to kindergarten this coming school year and my son is still in preschool.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 12:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• well we go through the closets and such....to see what they need. Usually new pants cause they have grown and a few new shirts but I don't go hogwild.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• in the north east it starts to get cold in sept...so i have bought her a few nice peices to start.she needs shirts desparatly.so we got someof those.i usually get her a nice out fit to start off the year and a few other pieces.i know she is going to need winter clothes.we do back packs every other year.i will get her a llbean one and that lasts her .she can usually wear capris until end of sept.
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• We only buy what we need; we shop sales year 'round; we do not buy "back to school" clothes.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i don't do the back to school shopping thing...like I said in a another post he gets new shoes and one new shirt for the first day. other than that he wears what he has until it no longer fits or is to worn. He wears a lot of hand me downs...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2009