being induced

I'm almost two weeks overdue and on the two week mark my doc has me scheduled for induction, not really sure what to expect and pretty nervous. As of two days ago my cervix was still closed and I was on my third week being 80% effaced. No painful just slightly uncomfortable contractions, as far as I know I still have my mucous plug. I have heard horror stories about pitocin and have heard if doc has to induce you, your chances of c section are greater. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or stories that might help clear the air for me?

09momma

Asked by 09momma at 12:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced at the two-week mark as well. Went in at 7AM, started the pitocin drip, I had him at 7:09PM. It was easy for me.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I went in at 8pm, I got setteled and changed and she gave me something to ripen my cervix and a sleeping pill. She came and gave me pitocin at 6 in the morning and broke my bag of water, I had her and 10:39 it was so easy I loved my experience!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Why did your doctor let you be overdue so long without offering induction earlier? Monday (27th) is my due date and if I dont have him by then, I have an induction scheduled for Friday (31st). I am NOT waiting another 2 weeks of pain and contractions, HOWEVER, I'm 2cm dilated and 80% effaced. This is my first kid and I'm 24 years old. I was afraid I wouldn't be dilated by 40 weeks which is probably why he isn't inducing you yet. So I keep hearing that it's a high risk for c-section but even if I do get a c-section, it's not like you're not getting an epidural...right? I'm getting it. I dont want to be in any pain. I already b*tch about these small side pains and sleepless nights and definitely dont want to go through worse pain.
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 1:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You will get a c-section if you are termed as "failure to progress" during your induction. That means that after they give you the drugs to kick the labor into gear and your water is broken and for whatever reason the baby cannot get out...they will get you a c-section. At that point it's not about you pushing, it's about the baby's heart rate and getting that baby out safely.

That was my case when I went to be induced with Connor. He was transverse meaning if I had tried to push him out, his spine would have come first. There was no room in me for him to back out of my hips and head down the canal. So I had a c-section. I was a tight 3cm and not effaced at that point.

Ummm, you will get the epidural for the c-section. You will need it to block the pain from the waist down. But those are a breeze. If you have any questions send me a message. I will answer what I can.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yes, pitocin can up your chances of other interventions and more than doubles your chance for a c-section. I'm happy to hear of a doc that believes in a mother and her body to do what is neccessary. Kudos to him! If your body isn't ready to labor, pitocin is more likely to cause trouble. My suggestion is to get active! Go for walks, take the stairs, have sex. Help your body along a bit. At least if you are partially dilated, your body might be more willing to flow with an induction. Keep active as much as possible while you are being induced. I'm sure you are close to going into labor yourself. Good luck.
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 1:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I was induced 5 days before my due date it wasn't a bad thing I went in at 7 got everything in order got in my room at 8 had my water broke and the pitocin drip started had dd at 8:22 pm it would have been sooner but another girl was in labor right as I was and there was only 1 dr on call so I had to wait like 15 mins and had to bite my fist to keep from pushing then at 8 my dr came in got things going dd got stuck on my pelvic bone and was finally delivered but none of it was bad I was a little worried that I would of had to have a c-section but I got lucky and didn't. As for trying to make labor come on itself I couldn't get it to work and I walked everyday tried sex nipple stimulation and everything if you have any other questions feel free to message me

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 2:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009