does anyone else think this?

ive noticed that there are sooo many moms on here that are soo paranoid over everything! like omg germs or this or that is going to hurt my kid ect ect. what bout the women in the 50's 60's your parents turned out fine.. and their parents held them in the car when driving.. gave them milk did alot .. i mean have we gotten 2 protective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• YES.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yes. our overprotectiveness (that's a mouthful!) has lead to increased illness and stronger bugs.  A little germ will go a long way in developing an immune system.  My hubby was the first child and his parents were very protive/clean and now he gets sick all the time.  I was the 3 and had many cousins and ate out of the trash (ONE TIME!  But I'll never live it down.  I told my mom to stop beat my baby good! hehe) and I hardly ever get sick now. 

Anonymous

• I think it's better to be "paranoid". For instance, how many kids died in the 60's in car accidents?
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• The world is COMPLETELY different then it was in the 50's and 60's or even the 90's! No, we're not being too overprotective. I'd rather be "that" mom then the mom who's on TV begging for kidnappers to give back her kid unharmed.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• yes just a little paranoid and that is because of our T.V and computer. Advertisers job is scare you to death you can buy their product.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
    Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
    No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
    Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are We got daddy’s belt when we misbehaved
    Had three TV channels you got up to change
    No video games and no satellite
    All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outside
    It was a different life
    When we were boys and girls
    Not just a different time
    It was a different world
    School always started the same every day
    The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
    Not every kid made the team when they tried
    We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right
    No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
    And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

I really like this song by Bucky Covington! Sounds about right..of course safety is a good thing, paranoia is another! I do t
    Anonymous

• most new moms are like that
    most get over it
    some do not, just their personalities
    to each their own
    as long as you are a loving mom
    no worries
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think in a sense we have gotten too protective over certain things. For example, when I brought my daughter home from the hospital my mom asked me how often the nurse said to give her a bottle of water. I told her they didn't mention anything about water. She said that when I was born, they told her every couple bottles that I needed to have a couple ounces of water. Now they are saying that giving water to an infant isnt safe because it causes seizures and water intoxication, etc. My mom was completely shocked when the doctor told us that.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I know I was when he was born. I have gotten better but I still freak out sometimes when dad lets him ride in the front even though he is 9. He wears his helmet when he rides his bike. I want to see my son grow up and these days you never know. We lost one already due to stupidity. We aren't going to lose another one.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Anon 12:48 .. I like that song too and I think he opened a lot of people's eyes or at least opened my eyes!
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2009