How can I get my 3yr old interested in going potty?

I'm trying to potty train my three year old, and some days she does good and other days she wants nothing to do with it. she doesnt let me know when she has to go, and when i sit her on the potty she doesn't do anything until i take her off.

ma12

Asked by ma12 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had the same problem. Honestly, you can't make them until they want to, but you can give them motivation. My daughter really wanted to go to school, so I just kept reminding her that she couldn't go until she could use the potty like a big girl. She also got a piece of candy everytime she went potty, then when she was in the habit we slowly weaned her off the candy. We also kept a chart on potty use. If she made it through the week with only 1 or 2 accidents a day (cause no one is perfect) then she got a special treat. It worked. Yes, it took some time, but she is now fully trained, even on car rides. She does sometimes have accidents, but not very often. You just have to find the right motivation for your daughter. Good luck:)
    chamaham

Answer by chamaham at 9:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i was in the same boat with my son. try this it works it took a week for my son the only prob i really have is the poopy part he is still trying to master that. but get big girl underwear she will get the picture quick about going potty.

what i did with my son is got tons of big boy under wear ..cars and tomas the train , spider man those are his favorite figures..than i got him this seat cover thing u put on the toilet its cars u can get diff themed charectors. i would set him on the toilet and it worked like a charm plus i had the help from his daycare "la petite"
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 1:37 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Before my son was 3 about 2 of course the whole process got explained then it was constand reminders every 2 hours each day to go try and then came the no I don't want to phase which was not expected then we tried stickers..eehh..then we tried a jar to fill up with something and when it is full your child gets to pick something they really want to do/go etc. Motivation does work i found in combination with reminders and of course underwear that they love to put on and bottoms that come on/off easily and lots of praise when they do. Try not to make them feel shamed if they have an accident but don't be overly nice to them either give them a responsibility when they do like putting clothes in the laundry basket and practicing the motions 8 or so times if they do- they get real sick of that after a few times and might rather go use the potty on there own then have to do that again...and of course they DO choose when they're ready
    mumlovesjexus

Answer by mumlovesjexus at 4:21 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• trying reading a book or something also make sure shes relaxed its probably scary to start using so suddenly - had to do that for the pooping part maybe shes nervous but you can probably be sure she understands pee goes in the potty and down the drain- try explaining the whole process might get her interested and I hope that she is NEVER in diapers if potty training - only overnight and change her as soon as she wakes up my son just wanted to cling to the diaper baby thing if he ever had them on - mostly at grandmas- anyway try one thing then try another and you'll figure it out
    mumlovesjexus

Answer by mumlovesjexus at 4:25 AM on Jul. 25, 2009