pinkeye

i took my dd to the doctor last night they said she has pinkeye and gave me antibiotic ointment to put in her eye, my question is should i keep her in? or can i take her out, i live on a military base and obviously dont want to take her to the park or anywhere that other little kids are but i feel bad keeping her locked up all day its been three days now that shes been stuck inside...so should i continue to keep her in until its healed or do the antibiotics make it no longer contagious??? and the doctor didnt say either way so im asking you ladies who may have experience with it, this is my first time ever dealing with it, ive never had it and my husband had it but he was only a year old and doesnt remember...thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• keep her in, also call your doctor and ask him or her.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It's contagious as long as there is gunky or water eyes. If her ears are clear and she's been on the ointment for 24 hours, you're fine to go out.
    Anonymous

• pink eye is very contagious. After 36 hour on antiobitics a person is not considered contagious, UNLESS, they continue to put hands to eyes/face, then they are still spreading the illness. Keep her in until her eye is clear, use all the antiobitics as perscribed and wash your hands to keep yourself from getting it.

Good luck.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• keep her in! pink eye is very contagious!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 12:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Let her play outside if you see kids around her bring towards you atleast like this you are monitoring her. Just keep doing what you are doing,she will be fine. Hopes she gets better sooner.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• after 24 hours it's not contagious.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/tc/pinkeye-topic-overview

After 24 hours of treatment, the bacterial pink eye is typically no longer contageous. Viral will typically still have discharge and gunk for about a weeks time. Once the symptoms subisde, they are OK.
    Anonymous

• thank you ladies, the doctors werent really much help. we went in they said it was pink eye wrote the script and we were done, they didnt tell me anything about the medicine, and when i asked the nurse how many times and how much should go in her eye they had to go and find the doctor to ask cause she didnt write it on the script. so yeah but thank you laides i appreciate it shell be in for another day definately hasnt been 24 hours since she was on it
    Anonymous

• She is no longer contagious after 24 hours of the meds. Pink eye is highly contagious, make sure she doesn't touch her eyes and if she does, wash them. Spray everything she has touched down with Lysol. Everytime my son gets pink eye, I get it within a few days.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009