How often do I feed baby food?

My son has started baby food, for 2 weeks almost now. I feed him at supper 1/2 a jar a night. On bananas and squash for example, he loves and would eat almost the whole jar sometimes. Can I do that? I dont want to over do it and make him sick or anything beings hes just starting out. He is 4 and 1/2 months also I should tlel you. I started him on solids at 4 months. Dont waste your time on the wait till hes 6 months spew please. 4-6 months is what all the docs have told me, and my other son started at 4 months, and hes fine, so please just answer what I am asking :) THANK YOU:) some just get carried away sometimes with thier unwanted opinions. anywho, also I am starting to feel guilty, cause when I eat he watches every bite I take like he wants some, every time I eat, so should I feed him at breakfast and lunch too? Thanks

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 12:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pediatrician said that I should only feed my son baby food once a day (until he is full, but to breastfeed first to make sure he gets enough calories). And don't worry, my pedi told me 4 months is fine, and he loves it.
    bugsmommy09

Answer by bugsmommy09 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I started alll my kids at four months. I always fed them until they were done. I didn't make them stop I made sure I had a sippy cup with breast milk if they needed somthing to drink. My oldest could eat almost two large jars at every feeding. Every kid is different though my youngest wouldn't eat baby food, she wanted big people food and even with out teeth would gum it all down. Anyway just feed him until he doesn't want any more, he may be a baby but he can tell when he is full.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• heck yeah.. i did.. i also started milk at 4m cause he wasnt getting full.. JB had solids also since he was 4m and we never lookd back.. get some of the ceral and rice jars for breakfast and lunch meat ones (they smell god awful) for lunch and roll with it..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 12:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Oh and no none of my kids are over weight. They are all on the lowest part of the curve. And are all pefectly healthy and thriving.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Try to feed him Breakfast and Dinner with you, a jar each. My son loved getting to eat breakfast with mommy and dinner with mommy and daddy. He should be fine to eat a full jar. Let your baby eat until he's full, don't think your overdoing it. He's a growing boy and realized he needs the extra food now that he;s getting bigger so his tummy tells him he's still hungry. Our pediatrician said doing this was fine and while our son is chunky and was then, those extra fat stores helped our son when he got sick with viral pneumonia at 6 months old because he refused to eat. You're not overdoing it and if you think that might be too much, then ask his pediatrician.Ours was glad he already had such a healthy appetite by then.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 12:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• All of the nutrition should come from breastmilk or formula. Solids are just for practice so give them after nursing or a bottle to be sure the food is not replacing the milk he needs. My baby only got a few bites to a jar about once a week for the first few months.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• When do you eat? That's when he gets his meals, too.
    Anonymous

• I would feed him rice cereal for brakfast and a jar of bananas or pears. When he's full he'll turn his head away and start getting distracted.
    My DS is 7 months and takes 2 1/2 jars 3X a day w/a sippy cup of juice.
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 2:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2009