when is it sippy cup time?

How old do your start your baby on sippy cups? Is it when they can hold it on thier own? Or should you try before then to get them use to it? Thanks

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 12:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started all my kids with sippy cups at four months when I started them on solid food. Of course it had nothing but breast milk in it but none of my kids ever took a bottle.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• at a year, tossed the bottles and full blown sippy..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 12:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I started at 4 months, but my pediatrician had me use half apple juice and half water, but that's because my son would go a week without pooping, and it's helped with that. I didn't want to give a bottle, since I'm breastfeeding. Figured I'd just skip that habit.
    bugsmommy09

Answer by bugsmommy09 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Most doctors will tell you to try it when you start solid food so they can try to get used to it early. At 9 months I started weaning him off the bottle (I worked all day so I had to pump) and giving him breastmilk in a sippy. By the time he was one he liked the sippy better cause I let him carry it around.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 1:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• We started at 6 months and taught them to hold it on their own. Once they can drink from one...get rid of ALL the bottles. There's no need for them any longer!
    Anonymous

• once they can hold a toy by themselves and bring it to the mouth is a good time to start
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I started my son on a sippy at 6months after he had baby food I gave him a sippy to wash it down with. We still do a couple bottles a day but his juice is always in a sippy!!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 2:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I started a sippy cup with all my kids between 4-6 months. I really like the ones with two handles - it always seemed easier for them to hold. I gave my first three only juice (diluted) in it until they were 1 and then tried to give milk. Only one took it, so with my 4th I'm putting breastmilk in it so he doesn't get used to only juice in it so I don't have to fight that battle when he's 1 and can have milk.

Answer by missanc at 3:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my daughter is nine months and i give her juice in a sippy cup and use her bottle for formula. make sure you mix juice with water. I never give juice in a bottle becuase it just gets sucked down so fast and thats too much sugar. And also dont give juice in bed....horrible for the teeth.
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 4:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009