Older dog mimicking puppy's potty problems

We brought a puppy home not even 24 hours ago, and she is such a baby she is not potty-trained yet. She keeps going all over the house, and I guess my older dog is jealous or thinks that's okay bc he has pooped in the house TWICE in the last 24 hours. We had to section part of the house off to the older dog a long time ago bc he always wanted to do his business down there even though he knew better. Now the only way I get him to poop is to take him for a 30-45 min walk everyday, and it's not even guaranteed he will poop. He will not poop in our yard but he sure likes to poop in the bottom unoccupied level of our house! Now that we have taken in a poor little puppy who needed help he thinks it's okay to do that in the house now? Or is it the smell? Or behavioral issues/stresses bc of the new puppy? Or all of the above?

Someone please help me! Tell me what to do! Please no bashing ab rescuing the puppy - she needed it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Its possible that its a case of jealousy, although usually dogs pee instead of poo to show dominance. Perhaps you can try to separate the two into two rooms until the new puppy is housebroken? The older dog may also be getting stressed out bc of the new arrival if he/she is not very well socialized with other dogs coming into their territory. The stress will actually cause bacterial buildup which they pass through their fecal material, causing them to have a bit of diarrhea. I've fostered many dogs, and one of my dogs used to do this when we first started. Also, just a point of caution, make sure to get that puppy vac'd as soon as possible so that the older dog doesn't catch anything from it! Feel free to write me if you have any other questions, I can possibly try to help. Good luck and congratz on the new rescue! :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• When i got my puppy my older dog did the same thing and it ticked me off so bad!!! It went away shortly because i disciplined him moreso than when he was a baby to make a point, once he got over himself and quit going in the house the puppy was easy as pie to train becuase he started mimicking my older dog instead
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Older dog is marking his territory. He's telling the puppy that this is HIS house. If you watch dogs playing together and one stops to pee or poo, then usually the dominant dog will come over, sniff the area and pee or poo in the same spot to mark their dominance. Keep getting after the older dog and getting puppy some papers to do its business on. They catch on quickly enough.

I do agree with getting puppy some shots immediately.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2009