who is.

st michael?in regards to the question on the angels?

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Michael (Hebrew: מִיכָאֵל‎, Micha'el or Mîkhā'Ä“l; Greek: Μιχαήλ, Mikhaḗl; Latin: Michael or Míchaël; Arabic: میکائیل‎, Mikā'Ä«l) is an archangel in Jewish, Christian and Islamic tradition. He is viewed as the field commander of the Army of God. He is mentioned by name in the Book of Daniel,[1] the Book of Jude[2] and the Book of Revelation.[3] In the book of Daniel, Michael appears as "one of the chief princes"[4] who in Daniel's vision comes to the angel Gabriel's aid in his contest with the angel of Persia (Dobiel), and is also described there as the advocate of Israel and "great prince who stands up for the children of your [Daniel's] people".[5]
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• The Talmudic tradition rendered Michael's name as meaning "who is like El?", - so Michael could consequently mean "One who is like God." But its being a question is alternatively understood as a rhetorical question, implying that no one is like God.

Much of the late Midrashic detail about Michael was transmitted to Christianity through the Book of Enoch, whence it was taken up and further elaborated. In late medieval Christianity, Michael, together with Saint George, became the patron saint of chivalry, and of the first chivalric order of France, the Order of Saint Michael of 1469. In the British honours system, a chivalric order founded in 1818 is also named for these two saints, the Order of St Michael and St George.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• St Michael is also considered in many Christian circles as the patron saint of the warrior. Police officers and soldiers, particularly paratroopers and fighter pilots, regard him as their patron. He is also a patron of Germany[6] and of the city of Brussels.[7]

Roman Catholics refer to him as Saint Michael the Archangel and also simply as Saint Michael. Orthodox Christians refer to him as the Taxiarch Archangel Michael or simply Archangel Michael. The New Thought Movement refers to Michael as Christ Michael.[8]
    Princessofscots

• http://www.angelfocus.com/archangels.htm

Great site - talks about all four Archangels.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• First of all angels are not saints. :-)
    Michael is the archangel that did battle with the prince of persia as Daniel the prophet was praying. He is considered to be a warrior angel in the heavenlies.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• The Catholic Church has accepted Michael as a Saint. "The Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel" is Catholic a prayer that Michael will carry your requests for protection to God.

But I agree, he's not a saint :-) Michael is an Archangel and the head of heaven's Angelic army.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• But I agree, he's not a saint :-) Michael is an Archangel and the head of heaven's Angelic army.

The word “saint” derives from the Latin “sancta,” which means “holy” one.  Thus, by definition all of God’s holy angels are saints.  As are all holy people are saints too.  Now, not all angels are holy - Lucifer and his followers being examples of these.  But "holy ones" are saints. 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Michael is the official guardian of the planet Earth in angelology. He commands the other angels and when asked, will dispatch angels according to our needs. Winged spirits, like the angels, exist in many cultures. Sometimes as gods. The goddess Isis, in Egyptian mythology is winged. El-Baal, a god of the Mesopotamian myths, is a winged being. Michael is a saint to me, because I partner with him in my healing work and he has never failed me. He endures my temper and other human foibles without judgement. He is one of the few archangels I have met that has a sense of humor and I've heard him laugh (usually when I request Publishers Clearing House at my front door with 10 million dollars!!!)
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• michael was jesus in heaven formation before comming to earth as GODS son.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2009