Atheists: What beliefs to you hold to?

IhartU has piqued my curious mind (as usual :-) ), and I started thinking :

I know that atheists do have SOME beliefs - for example, I know of quite a few that believe in reincarnation (which is what prompted this question). So, what beliefs do you have?

Do you:

Believe in ANY form of afterlife, weather it be reincarnation, returning to earth as a ghost, or anything like that?

Believe in the paranormal such as ghosts, spirits, hauntings, etc?

Believe in psychic powers?

And, do you believe that your these beliefs are tied in to your belief system (atheism) in any way?

Thanks for taking the time to answer! :-)

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe in any of the stuff you mentioned. I believe that you should treat everyone with fairness and compassion.
    Anonymous

• I believe in the paranormal- especially things like ESP, Divination and healing- powers of the mind. I also believe in what is called 'ghosts', but I don't think they are the spirits of people that were once living. I think we are made of energy and when we die, that energy reamins. Some people have a stronger life-force and therore, their energy might linger after death.

As for Poltergeists, I think it's Telekinesis/Psychokinesis which is when a person is able to manipulate energy to make activity manifest that is usually mistaken as spirits, demons or ghosts. More often than not, they are unaware that they are the reason it's happening.

I'm not sure about reincarnation, but there is some interesting evidence for it out there.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Atheism can be either the rejection of theism,[1] or the position that deities do not exist.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[3]

Atheism tends towards skepticism regarding supernatural claims, citing a lack of empirical evidence. Common rationales include the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. Other arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to the social to the historical.

In Western culture, atheists are frequently assumed to be irreligious or unspiritual.[7] However, religious and spiritual belief systems such as forms of Buddhism that do not advocate belief in gods, have been described as atheistic.[8] Although some atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism,[9] rationalism, and naturalism,[10] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.[11]
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I beleive absolutley none of that crap.

I'm an athiest. Who uses common sense and knowledge.
    Anonymous

• I'm an athiest. Who uses common sense and knowledge
    **

So what you're saying is an atheist CAN'T believe in any of it?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Princessofscots:

Okay, that makes a lot of sense and is very informative, but what about you personally? What do YOU believe in?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't believe in any kind of afterlife.

I have done a lot of research into paranormal "hauntings" and one of the theories that I think explains it quite well is that the natural energy of the earth, the energy of a person can combine with the earth's natural magnetic field to make a "recording" of events.

I believe that there is a lot more the human mind is capable of than we give it credit for. I believe "pyschic" powers are nothing more than human evolution taking place and us learning to use more of our brain power.

Yes, these are probably tied into being an Atheist, as these are natural, logical explainations of things that are considered un-natural and unexplainable.

JMHO
    ithi

Answer by ithi at 2:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Atheism isn't a belief system. It is simply a non-belief in the existance of deities of any sort. I'm a skeptic. I do not believe in fairy, trolls, gnomes, gremlins, etc any more than I would believe in a god or goddess. ESP -- some people are simply better at reading other people and their own natural instincts than others. DIVINATION -- I suppose it is likely a person could possibly be sensitive to the magnetic field like other animals are (an heightened natural sense) much like some people have a super sensitive sense of smell, hearing, or touch.   

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• MORE >> PSYCHIC powers? No. Unless you count self hypnosis which is really just consciously using the natural components of the mind that are usually only used subconsciously and involuntarily. REINCARNATION? Well, here is where I hope so because I'd like to come back and do it all again :) More likely I'll just be recycled back to the natural world, though who knows what happens to the energy of the mind after a though has been...er...thunked :) . Heck, maybe this is all in my mind anyway :) LOL
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• The part of me that leans toward atheism (I am more agnostic, I'll admit.) believes that when we die we're gone. Our energy SHOULD be dispersed to the Earth and we become food for fungus and such. It goes along the lines of not destroying or creating energy but it being a continuing cycle. So, in that sense, yes, reincarnation is real to me. Not in the magical or religious way many people look at it, though. When we die, our brains just stop working and our personalities cease to be other than in others' minds.

SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 5:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009