maternal instincts... fact or fiction?

I'm due in 2 months and I was talking with my mom on the phone today and asked her if it would all come to me when I had the baby. She said definitely, when she had my older sister she was worried she would never wake up when she cried or anything. But she did, it all came naturally. The sounds of babies crying has ALWAYS put me to sleep, and I never wake up when he's kicking me (my SO does because it freaks him out that I sleep while my tummy moves) so I'm worried I'm not gonna be the greatest mom. So are maternal instincts real? Any stories to share? Comfort? No bashing? =]

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 1:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• if you are worried about being a good mom
    YOU ALREADY ARE!

if you are a sound sleeper=turn up the baby monitor

no worries!
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Meh, Depends on how you look at it. I slept soundly when my son kicked too
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I believe some women may have more instincts than others to a point, but overall, yes it is true. We've been on this planet for thousands of years, and instinct is all parents have had until the invention of baby monitors, etc.... lol. I honestly think that all this technology is making it worse for parents to have any instinct, lol. I had my first child at 18 and I had very great instincts. I was a good mama for being so young. :) You'll be fine. Depend on your instincts always. Not technology, not even the doctor all the time. You go with your gut. It tells you things for a reason. :)
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yes, they are very real. I did the same thing as you, worried I wouldn't wake up that I wouldnt know what was wrong with him when he cried. Looking back, the first few weeks were the hardest. Now, it's a breeze to find out the problem and fix it. He's a year old now and to him, I am superwoman. Mommy can do no wrong. You'll make a great mother, especially if your mom was good to you and she sounds like she was. Sometimes it takes a little time to get used to it but you will wake up when he cries. It's kind of like a switch gets turned on in your heart that hears everything. You will know, be confident.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 1:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't think instinct has anything to do with it. You will learn an awful lot once your child is born. Your desire to protect your child will make you want to do what is necessary to keep the child safe. And yes, you can turn the baby monitor up real loud if you need to.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• LOL! right before I had my baby, I told my mom I was scared that I wouldn't wake up to feed my son throughout the night. I said "What If I don't wake up when he cries?" she gave me this Look like "yeah right, you're going to sleep through that." I found out what she meant soon enough! You'll be okay, and even if it takes awhile to catch on, you have your mom to help you out right? Even if it's just to give some words of encouragement.
    Anonymous

• I felt the same way! But it is different after baby is born!
    First, during pregnancy I was healthy but I knew I was going to end up C section.... DD was breech, feet behind her head, backwards and everything when I went into labor and I was rushed in for a C.
    After she was born it was a lot easier! I never had a baby monitor (well, I guess my hubby lol) but always made it in to see if she was ok, or knew if something was wrong, or felt off/weird, I just knew!

My advice: go with your gut, even if it sounds weird, go with you gut! YOU are mommy, YOU know what is going on with your baby! Congrats, you will be a TERRIFIC mommy and remember, because you worry, you area GREAT mother!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I freaked out during my whole pregnancy about whether or not I'll do this right or do that right. Obviously I'm doin' something right because even DF tells me I'm a wonderful mom and doing a fantastic job at it :] And now i feel like that too.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 2:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I slept thru the first 7 cm of labor with my first 2(and no, I didn't have drugs), but I hit the floor running at the first sound in the middle of the night. Look at this way, sleeping thru kicks is your bodies instinct to get rest while you can...lol
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 2:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i was so worried my whole pregnancy because i felt like i wasn't responsible enough to be a mom. i wasn't worried about the beginning few months, or the care of the baby, but just that i had to be responsible for another life and i knew, in comparison to later on, the beginning is easy. it's when they start moving and talking that comes the hard part, imo. listen to your heart, do some research on parenting styles and decisions, if you want, and get as much rest as you possibly can because after the baby comes! enjoy the last bit of "you" time before you become a mommy! congratulations! you can pm me if you want to talk/have questions!

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2009