Hitting?

My 15 month old has been having tantrums, and he hits. How do I stop him without hitting him back? Sometimes it's tantrums sometimes he just walks up and hits you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I held my dd's arms down at her side and explained we do not hit. She didn't like it and I would hold her arms until she quit fighting me.

My dd started doing that around 15-16 mos and stopped for a while after holding her arms down like that! But now at 20 mos we are in the terrible twos and she has started this up again and holding her arms down isn't working anymore. We are trying timeouts for 30 secs to see how that works. I agree, hitting for hitting doesn't work, it becomes a game.

GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son used to do this A LOT. At this age they don't understand WHY they can't hit, they just think it's fun. With my son I had to tell people to stop telling him to give "high-five" because he didn't understand the difference, and everytime he hit I told him "No. Owie." very firmly (but did not yell) and if he did it a second time I sat him on my lap and held his arms so he understood. If you do this consistantly he will get annoyed with being held down and probably stop.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2009