Leaving a 17 yr old home alone for 4 days

My SS mother has left him home alone for 4 days. What are you thoughts? I dont think he is responsible enough but what can we do?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 1:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• His age alone doesn't make him irresponsible. Some 17 year olds have worked since they've been about 14 yo. Unless the mother gave you persmission to enter the house, I'm not sure that you can.
    Do you know his food likes? Maybe asking him and some of his friends to eat at a diner a couple of times or over to your place for a bbq is a good way to judge things.

I have two kids in their twenties, one son and one daughter, plus I have a teen daughter. I know your worries. But since it's not your home unless you are aware of illegal activity inside I'm not sure you can do much other than extend honest friendship and include him and some friends for their type of food someplace.
    Anonymous

• My parents left me home alone at 17. they still think it was fine (I am 49). I would never leave a 17 year old home alone.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Never!
    poptart106

Answer by poptart106 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I highly doubt it. Most 17 year olds are not mature enough to handle 4 days alone. Maybe overnight but not for 4 days.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I left mine at home for a week. What kind of ridiculous 17 yr olds do you all have? He had one friend that was allowed over that we know & he went to work every day (I know he did what he was suppose to because he works for a realitive)
    Anonymous

• When my dad died I had to leave my 16 yr old home alone and while I was gone a hurricane hit where she was! It really depends on the person. Her dad lives in another state and came to help her after the hurricane and we had great neighbors so all was well. For a 17 yr old, they have to learn to grow up sometime. He's headed for 18 and adulthood so just check in on him and he should be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think its a case by case kind of thing... My parents left me in charge of my FOUR younger siblings for long weekends all the time when I was 16-17 yo. But then they would NEVER let my 17 yo sister alone BY HERSELF @ home for more than a couple of hours! The younger three are 15&16 now so my parents dont leave them home overnight but will leave them during the day for work... I guess they figure with that many teens at home something is bound to go wrong!
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 6:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• depends on the child
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 8:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• if he is a good kid and you trust him then i say go ahead but he has to keep in touch with you. also whild you are gone have a nieghbor watch out and keep and eye on him
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• well it depends on the child and not the age at this point. I was 17 and a senior in high school and my parents left me home alone while they went to Vegas for a week. Seriously what the heck could I do in Vegas at 17? Nothing. So I stayed home went to school and my job and followed the rules. And I was just fine.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:27 AM on Jul. 25, 2009