The neighbor lady gave me some squash, What do you do with it? How do you cook it???

I haven't had squash since I was little. I guess I decided then that I didn't like it. So now I have 2 and I have no idea what to do with them..

casd

Asked by casd at 1:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Health

• You can cut them up and boil them and eat them as a side for dinner, fry them or mix them with a noodle dish.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Cut them in half, put a little butter on them, and salt (or whatever your flavors of choice may be) and bake them in the oven.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You can cut them up put a little chicken bouillon and microwave.
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies!! I appreciate it.
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My favorite is to heat a little butter in a pan and add chopped onion, sweet green pepper if I have any, and sliced squash. If the seeds are hard, I cut out the seeds ( cut the squash in half lengthwise, and in half again lengthwise, draw knife along middle where seeds are, then slice crossways.) I add salt and pepper and any herbs that I have that sound good, and if I have tomatoes I add them, too. Cook until soft.

Answer by Bmat at 1:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Fry it, sister! That is the only way to eat it.

Cut the squash into 1/2 inch slices. Beat two eggs with about a half cup of milk. Dip the squash into the egg and milk. Then coat with cornmeal, salt and pepper them. Fry in hot oil until they are golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.

It's not the healthiest way to eat a squash, but it is sooooo good!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 1:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• What kind of sqaush?Summer squash? patty pan? acorn? spagetti?

I have tons of great recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I love to fry them with soy sauce and onions as a side dish.  I also made an awesome risotto this week with squash.  Here's the link if you'd like the recipe: 

http://www.justamomha.com/pantry-gourmet/2009/07/risotto-ohhhhhh/

justamomHA

Answer by justamomHA at 2:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If you are talking yellow squash, I like to peel, slice, and boil it with chopped onions and a little salt & pepper (my family complains about the texture when I do this, but I love it). Grilling or sauteeing with other veggies are good options. I've also had it in a casserole that was really good.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You can also cut them in half, cover them in sugar, cinnamon, and butter, and wrap them in aluminum foil. Bake them in the oven on 350!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2009