If Obama's plan passes, and you're 75 years old with 5 grandkids who count on you....

And you need a life-saving surgery, but don't qualify because of your age (In England, anyone over 59 cannot receive heart repairs or stents or bypass on the government health care plan)........

Would you go overseas to India and pay your life savings to have the surgery done? Maybe sell your house for it?

Or would you just "die with dignity"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Tricky, depends on what I need really. I don't know, 75 is kind of old and I don't know if I want a black market organ.
    Anonymous

• Might just order some morphine and call it a day!!
    Anonymous

• I'm NOT referring to organ donation!!!!!! Just surgery like angioplasty or something like that.
    Anonymous

• <------------ *runs to go to start an entrepreneurial business to help Americans get healthcare in India*
    Anonymous

• I would do a reverse mortgage on my house and then try for it... otherwise i would leave it up to the lord and teach my kids the best I can to depend on themselves.
    abshorn

Answer by abshorn at 1:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Honestly I have not yet read Obama's healthcare plan, though I am for nationalized healthcare. But I am curious, and I'd love to know about all the research you must have done, because surely you wouldn't post something like this based on conjecture and without really knowing what you're talking about. So What I wanna know is, how does what limitations England's government healthcare plan have any bearing on what ours is? Did Obama propose an identical structure to England? Or in fact include any restrictions like the one in the post in his proposal at all? Can you site your sources for me?

Also I'm curious about how the systems already in place DO work... anyone here from England or Canada? I was under the impression that if for any reason you fail to meet the short list of reqs for any treatment to be covered that you could pay for it out of pocket. The post doesn't specify a transplant and none of the surgeries it DOES
    QueenMama7808

Answer by QueenMama7808 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• name require a doner, thus there would be no question of replacing someone on a transplant list. Why would one have to go to India (or anywhere else for that matter) to have a surgery if they're paying cash for it anyway?
    QueenMama7808

Answer by QueenMama7808 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Doctors will accept your money in the US. Don't have to go to India.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 2:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Hmmm, I'm Canadian and my 61 year old mil had angioplasty this spring where a stent was inserted. I'm sure that all health care systems take into account the persons age, relative health, likelihood of surviving surgery, quality of life, etc when making decisions about surgeries and other procedures. What is the lifesaving surgery the 75 year old grandfather needs, what is his anticipated outcome, quality and quantity of life with and without the surgery? Why are 5 grandkids solely dependant on you and what arrangements have been put in place for them if you do die? Honestly where does a 75 year old man fit on the transplant list no matter his ability to pay?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Hmmm, nothing, eh? Yeah that's kind of what I thought.
    QueenMama7808

Answer by QueenMama7808 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009