How long does your toddler have to stay awake after hitting thier head?

My sister hit her head on a diving ring as she was running after me and tripped. she has two medium sized bumps on her forehead. Me and my mom are very worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as she's not trying to fall asleep at a "not normal" time, overly drowsy, if her pupils are equal and react to light equally, as long as she's not vomiting or having diarrhea she's okay.

When she does lay down for a nap or sleep, just go in every 2-3 hours and make sure she will stir. You don't have to wake her, just make her stir.

Bumps are good...as long as they don't feel like oatmeal or become indented.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Forehead injuries are not the ones to worry about. The ones that you worry about are the injuries to the back of the head. If you're both that worried, take her to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• I am not a Physician but I was told that if a child hits their head and they are not old enough to tell you if they have symptoms of a concussion to let them sleep. If they calm down enough to want to nap than they are probably okay, If you can not wake her up easily at the end of her nap that is when they are worried. If I were you I would call your doctor if you are worried. Kids are very resilient creatures but we as parents and family members think the worst.

lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 2:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Call her doctor and ask.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think you have to keep them awake for at least an hour, but if you and your mom are worried, call the doctor.
    MOM2JEM

Answer by MOM2JEM at 5:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Yeah I was always told to keep them awake for @least an hour before lettin them lay down for a nap! I would take her to the doctor anyway just to be safe
    jaidah917

Answer by jaidah917 at 7:30 AM on Jul. 26, 2009