Witches: How did you "come out of the broom closet" (LOL)?

I've heard some funny stories, so what's yours?

And, no, I'm not a witch anymore, but I HAVE been there with my own personal story.

I summoned (no pun intended) up the courage to tell my folks, walked into the living room and said, "Mom, dad, I have something to tell you. I'm a witch!" It wasn't pretty. Mom dropped the plate she was washing, dad stared at me with his remote control in mid channel-changing position. He just looked at me and said "No, your not. Witches aren't real."

Maybe that wasn't the BEST way I could have broke the news, LOL . . .

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just never hid it... My mother I think knew, but as a teen my room was searched at least weekly so I couldn't even have my books in my closet, or she would find and burn them. But when I turned 18, I just started to wear a pentagram and my books and whatnot are out in the open. I never really had to tell anyone, I just never hid it. I don't really see how it's any of their business. I don't wear a pentagram now, becuase my DH is afraid of them... but I still don't hide my books or candles or anything...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I never really hid it either. Its just another part of who I am. The only person I've ever actually had to say anything to, was my MIL when she asked what religion our baby is going to follow. I had to explain to her, but I think that's about it. She was very open and it was a nice conversation.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Like the first two...I never really hid it. (And I come from an uber-Catholic family.) But I was also always the plaid sheep of the family...so no one really made much notice...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I told my youngest sister because she was the one I knew would understand a bit and wouldnt rat me out. We both agreed it wasnt the right time to tell my mom and grandparents as it would break their hearts. So, I intended to wait til I felt, in my heart, that the time was right and the heartbreak less severe.

My sister, the one I thought I could trust and who had promised to keep it to herself, told everyone. I found out in January/February when my older sister said something to me about how long Id been studying it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I asked my Mom if I could have her Mothers old bean pot that she never used. My Mom said "sure, what are you going to use it for? your cauldron?" I said"how did you know?" LOL
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I didn't ever have to "come out" either. My mother was a kitchen witch & former Wiccan, so she quickly guessed I was looking more closely into Neopaganism. Eventually she asked me what my specific path was. My father never discussed anything remotely religious with anyone. My younger sister (who is a Buddhist now) asked me for a lot of information & still participates with me in some events, my older sister (a Christian) asked my mom what I "was". The rest of my family (extended) just talks infrequently about my "new age" beliefs, they don't ask for specifics. At work I have made it known what holidays I celebrate as it was relevant. I know that 2 of my coworkers know about Neopaganism & realize it is my path. The others seem content to not discuss the specifics of my "different" (from theirs) beliefs. Some friends asked me about my pentacle etc. & I have told them specifically that I am a witch, others haven't.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I haven't really come out of the broom closet. My husband and some close friends know, but that's it. Where I come from, it really isn't safe to practice witchcraft (or be any religion other than Christian or Catholic). Atheists are fairly safe, too, but they get bitched at all the time by people. If I were to tell anyone in my family, or a family friend, I would (quite literally) be bound against my will, they would call everyone they know (especially all the preachers), throw holy water all over me and attempt to cast the demons from me. Then, if that didn't work, they would either try to drown me or burn me or hang me. I am not making this up. There's also a slight possibility that they would just shoot me or something like that.

I wish I could come out, but there are so many parts of my life that I have to hide, for my safety and my husband and daughter's.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I never really was in one. Those who matter the most and are involved in my everyday life know but at the same time I don't want up to complete strangers and say, "Hi, I'm Chasa and I am Pagan."
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Totally understandable MrsBat a lot of us have been there or are going through the same thing. Families unfortunately can be the worst of the offenders when it comes to being hurtful about our path.   

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Some people that I knew were able to handle it I just mentioned it to them casually. Mostly, I live it and tho I haven't "come out" of the broom closet to my son, I wear my pentacles and crystals in front of him so I think he probably knows. He's still christian so he may also be in denial. I mostly consider it to be a personal path. I have casual work friends that I still see now that I'm retired that I have never told. It doesn't concern them right now. I have family members that I am sure wouldn't welcome the news, but I don't hide it. Still it was hard when I first began to practice. Someone once asked if my pentacle was a Jewish star and, terrified of blurting out the truth, I just said yes it is and moved on. The most ignominious time in my path, I must say. But, I don't judge people if courage and outspokeness comes slowly.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2009