CRY IT OUT HELP???

I used to not like the cio thing but my son is over 6 months and i have to bounce him to sleep everynight. and lately once he falls asleep he wakes up screaming the minute i try to put him in his crib. For the past few weeks we are up playing this gane till like 2 am. And through out the night he wakes up many many times and i get absolutely no sleep. I know this is my fault but i think i am starting to lose it lol, so i need to make some changes. He wakes up for his pacifier but i am not into taking it away since it helps soothe him so much. Please help me with any suggestions or let me know what i can do to make things easier for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• You're gonna have to let him CIO. That doesn't necessarily mean you shut the door and never go back in. You can check on him every 10 mins. or whatever makes you most comfortable. With my DD, I give her a bath, play with her, feed her, and then put her down at approx. the same time every night. I do it earlier or a little later, depending on how tired she seems, but it's always around 7 or 8. Once he is drowsy, put him in the crib and leave. He'll cry, but just go in and check and pat him back to sleep. It may take a few days, or weeks or mos. (mine is stubborn so it took a while), but it will get easier each day. You just have to be consistent. WHen he wakes in the night do the same thing. We have been doing this for about 2 wks. and she has finally gone about 5-6 hrs.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• And it's not your fault! SOme babies just have a rough time sleeping, but consistency is key.
    danielp

• well im going to get beat down for saying this; ok when JB was 6m old i stopd going in there, yes he woke up at 2 or 3 and yelled, at first i was going in getting him a bottle proping it up so he could drink it and he wouldnt hold it.. then after a month of that i did shut the door and not go back in there, he didnt need anything he just wanted to know i was still there.. i also was waring out and getting crabby if you ask me.. so do what you have to do, i say prop his bed up so hes not laying down and prop up that bottle and be done with it..

Always talk to your doc before taking advice, dont hear what they say do what is right..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 2:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Oh mommy.. Sounds like my son when he was that age. I wonder if he never learned to self sooth himself to sleep so any little twitch he does or move he makes wakes himself up and he doesn't know how to put himself back to sleep. I HAD to do the CIO at 8 months old when after 3 days of my son waking every hour on the hour and staying up screaming for 30 minutes of it. I brought him to the doctor and there was nothing medically wrong. He just never learned to self sooth due to his colic or whatever the reason was... I went full blown CIO -He has cried up to 3 hours before but its so important to learn to put himself back to sleep. and you NEED your sleep also. As long as you are sure he's not waking for any other reason, and I agree with danielp -you HAVE TO be consistant - His Ped said my sons got so bad cause I was not consistant.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• CIO when done properly can be a big help. Keep in mind that your son for the last 6 months has been trained (not spoiled) to idea that when he cries you come running. You have to slowly break him of this habit. I would start with one nap at a time before getting to the big night time switch. When you lay him down for his nap, which ever one you have chosen to start with. Give him his paci. Rub his back and walk out. Let him cry for 5 min and go back in. DO NOT pick him up. Rub his back tell him night night and walk out. the wait 15 min. repeat. Then 25 min. Repeat. Not longer than 35 though. He will eventually learn that you do in fact come back and/or will wear himself out and sleep. I would do this every day until he has that nap down pat then do the next one. Keep it up until he is sleeping both naps. Once he is doing this well then tackle the night. The key is not giving in. I know you must be exhausted!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• For some kids, CIO doesn't work. Tried it and FAILED miserably here.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. You can also find her online. A lot of moms have success with this.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Six months is too young; my daughter was 8 months before she slept six ssolid hours.

Actually, I just re-read your post; he may be going through a growth spurt and just be hungry; try nursing him more at night.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009