C-Section

my doctor told me i have a good chance of getting a c-section due to my daughter is feet first, my question is if you have a schedual c-section do you still have to go through the labor process??? how does that work, i know i will ask more questions with my doctor when or if she does say that i need one, and scheduals one...

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If it's scheduled you don't labor, unless you go into labor yourself.
    Anonymous

• If you're having a c-section due to the baby being breech they won't want you to go into labor at all....they will probably schedule it a week before your due date.
    Anonymous

• No, you won't go through the labor process if your C-section is scheduled. Unless your daughter decides to try to arrive before the scheduled date.

My daughter was a scheduled c-section. I went in they put me in a bed and gave me IV's, then I got up walked into the surgical room. Gave me the block in my back, laid me down and got started with the c-section.

Now my first one wasn't a scheduled c-section and I went through labor and pushing. He wouldn't come out so I was rushed in for an emergency c-section.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 2:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I know some people DO CHOOSE to go through the labor process. I didn't. Well, rather, it wasn't advised as I was at an increased risk of rupture.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Not trying to argue with babycakes but I don't believe that you go through labor if you have a SCHEDULED C-section. Usually if you have a scheduled c-section it is because there is some kind of danger to the mother or child. The doctors don't want you to go into labor in most cases.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I have to agree with the anon right above me. If it's scheduled due to a medical problem, the idea is that you SHOULDN'T go through labor. I was induced and after 15 hours had to have a c-section, this one will be a scheduled c-section, walk in....get prepped, go into the OR, have a baby!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No, you don't feel labor. I had the same issue. My DD was breech at 37 wks. I did everything I could to turn her, including having a very painful version procedure, and she did not turn. I scheduled a c=section for 39 weeks and went into labor the day before! Thank God I read some stuff about dealing with labor b/c I was in labor for a good 8 hours with no meds. I'm kinda happy I got to experience the pains of labor, but it was not the plan. I was very worried about going into spontaneous labor with a breech baby (many bad things can happen) but it just worked out that way. Whatever you decide, don't feel bad about having a scheduled section due to breech. I am a librarian and did A TON of research about it and in every scenario, a scheduled c-section is the best outcome for baby where breech is a factor.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• IF it is scheduled then there is no labor process. You come in that morning and get prepped for surgery. Very smooth and easy to go through.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Mama, go to spinningbabies.com and check out their advice for getting a baby into the right position or you can go to a chiropractor and ask for the Webster technique.

I absolutely have to disagree with danielp on her information about scheduling c-sections for breech babies. It's just a bad protocol that is increasing our c-section rate without improving outcomes.

I would do everything I could to get baby to turn and try to avoid a c-section at all costs. The hormones in labor are really a necessity. Babies born by c-section have a 400% increased risk of respiratory problems, as well as a much larger risk of death.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 6:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009