my tensioner went out on my car (meaning my air conditioner doesn't work) anyone familiar with this and how much it could cost???

i drive a 2004 GMC yukon

A local mechanic is suppose to call me back with an estimate and im trying to figure out what a descent estimate would be so im not getting ripped off.

Thanks!

stephany21

Asked by stephany21 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I believe the tensioner is the piece that holds the belt on and in place for the motor on the air conditioner to work. Everyone is different in pricing but it shouldn't cost more than the part-maybe $100 and about an hour to hour and a half-depending on the car-again about $100.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Go to autozone.com and input your vehicle data. Also, it isn't difficult at all to replace the tensioner yourself. I have done mine many many times. You do have to get a new belt though, b/c once the tensioner busts, the belt is useless. it will snap in a few months, or bend the tensioner again.
    If you need help and want to replcae it yourself, you can get the vehicle manual online for free(to look at LOL) at autozone.com under the vehicle repair manuals tab on the left. Good luck!
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• thanks!!
    stephany21

Answer by stephany21 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2009