My daughter keeps getting bit by my girlfriends daughter. Do I remain her friend? What should I do?

babybellamom

Asked by babybellamom at 2:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is your friend doing anything to try and stop it? Does this happen when you are around or just when she plays alone with the daughter?
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't think you should end a friendship over bad toddler behavior that will certainly pass... but I am curious how it all goes down after a bite...does she handle it? laugh it off? do nothing?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• That seems harsh. As long as she is not blowing off the biting, I don't see why you would stop being friends.
    If the biting is bad enough, I would consider only hanging out with her when the kids are not around or some how seperated (strollers etc.).
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree this behavior will pass. Perhaps you should limit the time the toddlers spend together until it does though.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Try talking to the mom. Let her know that if her daughter keeps it up you won't be doing any more play dates. I know I wouldn't want to be around someone who hit me all the time. I don't think this is something worth losing a friendship over though. I would also tell your DD the next she gets hit to say in her mean voice to stop. Not all the time but sometimes kids tend to take each other more serious than adults. My friend's daughter kept getting picked on by another boy at her daycare (they were 2yrs old friend's DD and 3yrs old the boy at the time) until she finally did back to him what he had been doing to her. He never hit, bit, or pinched her again once he realized she wasn't taking it anymore. And no my friend did not tell her to do those things back, her DD figured that out on her own.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i wouldnt end the friendship because of her daughter's behavior. does she know what her daughter is doing to yours? if so, does she make any effort to stop it? does she scold her daughter at all or just laugh it off? if she doesn't see it happening, let her know! if she is a true friend she won't deny it's happening or tell you " don't tell me how to raise my daughter", like some other moms would if they didn't know you. let her know your daughter is being physically hurt!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• seems kinda shallow to stop being her friend, you two must not be too good of friends. tell her the problem, im sure she will fix it. or maybe try actually watching the kids while they play.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My friend's daughter is always pushing my son down, tripping him, trying to kiss him, and will bite him from time to time. By the end of the day, my son is in tears and completely aggrivated. The baby girl is only 1 month older than him... she just loves him! But my son isn't into that, and I'm sure it hurts! What my friend and I do, get together sometimes and watch the kids play, separate them when appropriate, and try to chat when the kids are playing apart for a second or two. Then we arrange some days to go out for coffee or lunch, without the kids, so we can catch up... but at the same time, have the time to enjoy each other's children and have them intereact. It's likely they'll become good friends as they grow older and learn boundaries. As long as the behavior is being corrected, I wouldn't put up a fit. Or if you're comfortable enough to correct the child, do it, gently.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 5:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2009