getting my 7 month old to sleep on his own.

Hey, i have a month old that up till now i did the worst thing i found out. i would go to bed with him in my bed and i would breastfeed him until he falls asleep. well now i want to be able to have him sleep in his crib but not only will he not want the crib but he cant fall asleep without my breast... is there any thing i can do?

Marissa87

Asked by Marissa87 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe try this method, link

Anonymous

• You did NOT do the worst thing! Not at all. They are PROGRAMMED to sleep with us. **smile**

Dr. Jay Gordon has written a great method for transitioning baby from the family bed. Find it on drjaygordon.com. He doesn't recommend doing it till the first birthday brt you can give it a shot.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Whoa! Not transitioning to their own bed until 1 years old seems pretty extreme. I got tired of co sleeping at 8 wks. Up until then my DD was just like your son, but none of us were getting actual sleep with her in our bed and it was getting dangerous. To be honest, there really isn't any magic trick, it just takes a lot of consistency. Start putting him down for naps and to bed in his crib. Do not let him sleep in your arms. He needs to get the msg. that the crib is for sleeping. He will cry of course, but just go in every few mins. to soothe him. Make sure you do the same thing every time, don't pick him up sometimes but not others. Decide how you will deal with the crying. Be consistent and the crying will get less and less. Start a bedtime routine and stick with it. He will eventually accept the crib. My DD is the most stubborn baby alive and it took her a good month or two.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Have you tried a pacifier? I did this with my daughter and had the same issue. She didn't sleep in her crib until about 5 months and she wouldn't take a pacifier. We just started laying her down in her crib and giving her a comfort bunny blanket. She would cry so hard. We just kept going in about every 15 minutes and soothing her and laying her back down. Do not get him up and give in. As hard as this may be. Eventually he will fall asleep. Just do this every night. It will get easier and easier. I promise.
    gwen2814

Answer by gwen2814 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• sleep with a recieving blanket for a couple nights and keep it in the crib so the baby has your scent... I actually did this with DD I put the blanket under my shirt on top of my bra... she sleeps like a rock in her bassinett and now we are transitioning to the crib... she is 2.5 months
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009