whats your opinion of skateboarders?

What is your opinion of skaters? My son is 14 and I want to get a skatepark in our very small town to give him and the other kids who are not into team sports something to do. Around here the older people all have a very bad opinion of skaters though. My son is very polite and not on drugs and doesn't drink. Why the negative stigma? I don't get it...

stickyfingers

Asked by stickyfingers at 3:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think the negative stigma comes from kids that hang around in parking lots skating because they don't have a skatepark! Good luck!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 3:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Eh, I say "I wish I could do that LOL" You can't let what some people who are stuck in their ways keep your son from doing something he likes.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think my son is so awesome at it too! He wants to be a good role model for the younger kids too so they dont get into drugs and drinking. I am so proud of him! I hope I can do this, I am so nervous! I have to do a presentation to the parks board Aug 5
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 3:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Our town is finally starting to build a skatepark. I think it is great! There isn't much for teens to do here that doesn't cost a lot of money. Skaters get a rap as bad kids because they skate where no one wants them. That's why they need skateparks! My daughter's friends are skaters. They are great kids. Better than hanging out on the corner selling drugs or getting into trouble elsewhere. While my son doesn't skate yet he has the clothes and hair. Once the skate park is built I won't have to wonder where my daughter is. She will be with the skaters. I love watching all the X-game sports. The people who don't want the parks forget what is was like to be young and bored.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 3:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't know where the negative stigma comes from... wish I did! I think skating is a sport, and some kids start very young and go on to be extremely good! People just need to open their eyes and stop being so judgmental! Good luck!
    mamaD2008

Answer by mamaD2008 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My 15 year old son is a skater. He is one of the best in our town. He is on the team from our skatepark,and it's already produced one national pro. It bugs me to no end the way these kids are treated! The police literally have it in for them, even though they don't skate in illegal areas. They leave their boards at the office if they go into the mall,and are STILL hassled! Yeah, some of them can be a little smart-mouthed,but for the most part,they are all good kids. I know,because we usually have about 9 or 10 in our house at any given time,including our pro,who is home for awhile. They are great kids,and are all very polite,and helpful. Even though I do call them the locust plague, since they move in,eat everything in sight,and then move on to the next house! LOL. But, I love them all!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I dont understand the negative stigma..
    Good Luck on getting a skate park for your area..
    I know of 2 in our area & they are very well used and respected! The kids dont vandalize it as you would think "punk skaters" (ha) would... They are very happy to have a place they can go & be themself without getting into trouble...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• When I was in school (way back in the 80's) I had some friends in the mod crowd. They and the skaters were the bad boys. A lot of them did do drugs. I would be seriously watchful of your son. Though it may not be like that where you live and now in the new day and age.
    Anonymous

• A lot of them do do drugs, I am not saying that but a lot of people do drugs period. Its just that the older men around here harass them and tell them to get out of here, its just rude. I cant imagine telling a kid they cant do something like play a sport because of my own opinion on that. I could see if they were rolling joints right there or drinking but they have been just walking down the street and had people stop and tell them to get out of here. He has just as much of a right to be here as anyone else.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 4:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009