why is it so bad to sleep on your back while pregnant

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• your uterus can fall back and cut off blood and air supply to the baby.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• because after about 4 months the uterus and baby and large and heavy enough to put pressure on your AORTA, cutting off blood supply to you and baby as well as babies oxygen
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• well now i'm freaked out. how did i not know thta. i sleep on my back sometimes because i find it hard on my side.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Ahh, it's not. If you feel uncomfortable, don't do it, but otherwise it's fine. You will start to feel uncomfortable doing it the further along you get. If something horrible was happening while you slept on your back, I'm sure you're body would let you know!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I always fall asleep on my side and wake up on my back. My doctor told me that our bodies are pretty good about alerting us to move off of our back if necessary... in other words, YOU will be come short of breath, or have a hard time breathing, if the air supply is being cut off. Don't worry too much, just try to sleep on your side. And yes, it gets more uncomfortable to be on your back the further along in pregnancy you get.
    mamaD2008

Answer by mamaD2008 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yeah, as other gals are saying that you will feel when it's time to get up. Don't worry I'm on my side alot but, I always seem to wake up on my back. Just know that as you get further along you won't be able to do it, just because it won't be a comfortable position. I'm 26 weeks now and I only lay on my back for a couple of mins before I get out of bed in the morning. good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• thank you all for the advice, i was getting nervous. i am 29 weeks now...
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009