first word: "mama" at 4 months??!

is it even possible?

a mom from one of my groups posted that her baby (born 4/09) said "mama".

the earliest one of my kids ACTUALLY said a meaningful word was prob by 6-7 months at the EARLIEST... maybe even closer to 8m.

When did yours say his/her first ACTUAL word (not just babling)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I suspect someone has a case of wishful thinking. "most" babies don't say an intelligible word until 5-7 months. That word is almost never an M sound. It is too advanced. D..like DaDa..T sounds are far more likely to be first words.. It would be pretty fantastic if a child that young made C, or G (uses the back of the tongue to the palate) M, or B sounds use complex combinations of coordination to make. 'Could" it happen..there is always an oddsbreaker out there. Is it probable..not really.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree. The words "mama" and "dada" are not really words for the babies when they are that young. Thye are just sounds, and I would consider it babling.
    My oldest started saying her first words when she was about 12-13 months. Words like cow and cat.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 4:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• There is a difference between making the sounds in a word, and saying an actual word. I don't think it was a TRUE word.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I DD said "dada" when she was 4 months.. and said it often after that when her father held her, but don't let her brag to much.. my dd is now 18 months, and although she can say 10-20 words clearly, most of the rest of them are still jumbled. (in other words, that doesn't make her son/dd a genius, just because they hit a milestone early)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my dd*
    xxhazeldovexx

• My daughter started saying mom...not mama or anything like that at 5.5-6 months(somewhere in there) She knows who she is calling. she will still do it til I come in the room even if her dad is right there. She wakes up in the morning and stares at me saying "mom, mom, MOM" louder and louder til I say good morning to her....Ever since she could make any noises it was always mmmmmm's never anything else. After a month of mom she started babbling with bababa but never mamama.....so yes they can say mom first!!!!
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My dd was born in 4/09 and she says "mom" - I didn't believe my dh when he told me. But for the past week, she lays in her crib in the mornings and says it until I come pick her up. I think all babies operate on different schedules.
    jenhem

Answer by jenhem at 2:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009