Showing up at work sick?

How do you feel about people who go to work sick?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 3:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• I wish they wouldn't. They are exposing others to what they have, assuming it is contagious. Even if I don't catch it from them, another coworker might, and I could still catch it from the other person.

If they aren't contagious, then it is a worry about if they are making themselves sicker by being there, and they are also, in a weakened condition, more likely to catch anything that is going around. None of my business, really, but it is natural to be concerned about somebody who is ill.

Answer by Bmat at 4:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think it is the responsibility of the manager to send them home so they can get sick pay. I have tried to call in sick with the flu and my manager started to get very angry and said I needed to come in. I got everyone possible in that place sick and I felt awful.
    Anonymous

• My feeling is if you are puking or have diarrea stay home. You will just make everyone sick. If you being there and being unable to perform your duties-go home. I know that most people can't afford to stay home as I can't but is it really better to expose others? I think not.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Unfortunately, the American workplace sucks. We have to use our sickdays for our children, and drag our sick butts to work.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think if it's just a cold, come do your work. But if you are *really* sick stay home. If you can't function, stay home. Sick time is there for a reason. If you don't have any, talk to your boss to see what arrangements can be made. I'm an accountant and you better believe that during tax season, the sick time drops! But if we are sick we are told not to worry the work will get done and to make up the time later.
    Anonymous

• It's not always a choice. In 7 years at my old job I called on less than 6 times. And was told twice that I had to come in, sick or not! One time I had a fever of 102* and had a mile to walk to get there in 18" of snow, but was told if I didn't show I would be fired... And I worked with Food! It's not always everyone's choice to stay home or go in... Personally I would never call off unless I was dieing (or felt like I was). I hate people that call off because they sneeze... Oh, well, welcome to grown-up life!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Wow , I must have a great job because we get one sick day a month and 3 personal days a year and 2 weeks vacation after your first year and it is all paid time. If you still have over 50% of your sick time left at the end of the year you get a huge bonus. I have been there almost 2 years and have called in 3 times but they were all kid related I never call in for myself. We do have several people that use their sick day as soon as they earn it.
    Anonymous