Is Paganism a hobby or is it an actual religious code you live by.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• sorry pnwmom very lame excuse.
    Anonymous

• That is like asking if Christianity is a hobby.

No, it is not a hobby.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• the reason why i ask is because i have heard several say that their beliefs are only myths. christians on the other hand will die for what they know to be true. they do not believe that god is a myth.
    Anonymous

• Paganism is NOT a hobby. While the study of pagan religion may be, the practice is NOT! Paganism is a broad term that stands in place of many "new age" or "reconstructionists" paths. There is no set in stone rules that govern over all pagans but each path has their own. Just like Christians, Jews & Muslims have different "rules" but at the root hold the same foundations... However I believe there is one main thread of peace through most if not all pagan traditions and paths. The words "Harm None" can easily describe the one steadfast pagan rule or tradition, no matter which of the many paths you are discussing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• are you able to trace the code "harm none"? and are you able tell me who said it? just curious.
    Anonymous

• The word Myth is often mis-translated to mean fake. That's not actually what it means. And when talking religion it's NEVER what it means. The word myth actually is defined at UNPROVEN. In this meaning even the Christian religion is based on myth. Does that make it untrue? No, definitely not to believers. But it does make it unproven by today's standards. The main difference is that while Christianity teaches that their beliefs are cold hard fact not to be questioned, most Pagans understand that we can not time travel to find proof, so things have a tendency to become larger than life. For instance, most Christians will tell you that Jesus walked on water. Most Pagans can tell you that Dionysus did as well. The difference is that while Christianity teaches this as FACT even though they can't PROOVE it, Pagans teach this as Religious myth or history, because we can't go back and actually see it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Answered at 4:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 by: Anonymous
    are you able to trace the code "harm none"? and are you able tell me who said it? just curious.

Many ancient religions have texts that say things that can be translated in this way, but the phrase itself comes from the movement that bloomed in the 1950s & led to the creation of the "traditional" Wiccan religions.

When Pagans say their beliefs come from myths that doesn't mean they think they are untrue. They are simply true in a different way than most Christians consider the Christian myths, which are nonetheless myths. For the vast majority of Pagans it is a serious religious path (making your question a bit insulting), though every religion has it's dabblers.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No, there is no ONE text that can be seen as a clear path to today's pagan paths. That's because there are so many different paths that fall under one title of pagan... Wicca, Astrau, Druid, Strega, Greek & Roman Reconstruction and many others. Most (not all) are based on pre-Christian religions. Because there were so many there is no clear base for them all. One could follow the reconstructed path of the Ancient Egyptians or the Ancient Celts... There was NO way that their beliefs, myths or traditions could be the same, they lived on different corners of the known world. So there can't be a universal text.

Harm None, Karma, The Law of 3... Whatever, they are all major principals of Pagan religions and usually a key to the belief system and way of life. No matter how it's said it tends to be the basic principal in all of them. And is reflected in today's common Christian beliefs as well as the "Golden Rule."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My spiritual path is a way of life, not a hobby. As far as mythology, a myth doesn't automatically mean a person doesn't believe in the reality of a Creator/God/Goddess, etc. Mythologies are often a way to explain the knowledge of a particular belief. These have been used by many religions and cultures throughout time (including Christianity) as a way to set examples and explain why things are the way they are.

AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It is definitely NOT a hobby. That question almost offended me. If someone were to actually come up to me and ask me if my religion is a hobby, I would be highly offended. It's my religion, my life style, everything. It's incorporated into everything that I do, every day. Reading is a hobby. Crafts are hobbies. Religion is not a hobby. As someone already said, that's like asking a Christian if their religion is a hobby.

Everybody already nailed everything, from what I can see, so I don't really have anything else to add.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2009